AllyG: Coming off a fabulous weekend, and you? Saturday was le sucky, but I took advantage of the weather to get a mani/pedi at Embrace with my girl Krista. Those people know what they’re doing. Let me tell you. Sunday was spent walking through the Public Gardens, getting gelato at DioMio and coming back for a BBQ with neighbours in the ‘burbs. I can’t believe I used to knock the burbs. My 22 year old self cannot believe I just wrote the above paragraph.

Anyway. I’ve been thinking a lot about Lady Gaga lately. Sometimes when I’m bored, or feeling uninspired, I imagine what my life would be like if I was say, Britney Spears or perhaps a more reputable artist like Carrie Underwood (shut up). Whenever I imagine myself in Lady Gaga’s shoes I get embarassment cringes. You know what I mean, right? Like the cringes you get when someone does something super stupid but they think they did something awesome and you feel so mortified for them that you can’t even breathe? That’s embarassment cringes. Like, I can’t imagine myself being Gaga on the tour bus. Does she wear that crap on the tour bus? Does she wear sweats? I JUST DO NOT KNOW.

Lady GaGa

Here’s the thing, I don’t know if I’m totally on point for feeling weird about Gaga or whether I’m totally old (sort of like the coloured tights…is Lady Gaga like coloured tights? Can I only appreciate before 3o??!!!). Her fashion is courageous to be sure, but it feels so forced, so contrived. Am I turning into my mother?

Right? I mean…Carine, what do you think (again, shut up, I also fantasize that Carine Roitfeld reads the blog every second of the day).

lady-gaga

I’m not going to lie, I actually kind of like this outfit. If I could pull it off, I would perhaps wear this outfit. Not to work or anything, but you know, to go grocery shopping or buy stuff for the baby. Regular errands and such.

0129_lady_gaga

Maybe I am wrong about the Gaga…I kind of like this look. It’s daring, it’s fun, it’s young. I’ve typed out, “I wish she’d put on a shirt” several times and gone back and deleted it because I again fear I am morphing into my mother. Perhaps I can indeed handle the Ga!

lady-gaga-fashion_244x319

….. ….

….

%#$#%$#^% I’m old. I can’t dig it.

L-A: You think you’re old? I’m reading about Lady Gaga and the first thing that pops into my head is, “Who is this Lady Gaga character?”  I seriously cannot name one of her songs for you. And you want to know why?  Because I’m pretty sure the CBC hasn’t played any. Now there is old.  I had to google her for more info (at least I’m still young enough to properly use google as a verb…phew! close one!), and I’m still at a loss.

51996441

My second thought on Lady Gaga, and I have thought this just about everytime I have seen a photo of her, is, “Where are her pants?”  One of my finds tells me that she has some roots in burlesque, which does explain her outfits a little bit.  Except, Dita von Teese is pretty much the queen of burlesque and I’ve never once asked this question about her (I’m thinking about Dita during public engagements, such as red carpet events, as opposed to performances).

lady_gaga_01

Actually, it appears to me that Lady Gaga often forgets one key piece of clothing. Sometimes it is pants, other times, a top. But she doesn’t seem to mind. Lady Gaga is beyond such constructs as pants. Who needs pants? Not Lady Gaga!

lady-gaga3

Actually, that last outfit isn’t so bad. I mean that in an, “That actually looks comfortable. I’d wear that around the house, that is, if my around the house loungewear were to stop including pants” kind of way.  But take away the red heels and I’d understand why you’d want to wear that outfit.  Of course, Lady Gaga does not limit her pantslessness to silly things as “around the house”. She includes red carpet evetns as a time to go pants (or skirt) free.

(I also have to admit: she looks so much better as a brunette).

But you know what? When I’m done contemplating the sartorial stylings of Lady Gaga, I always return to the question: “where the hell are your pants”?

AllyG: Can you imagine the confidence required to just up and decide to ditch your pants? That’s gutsy. What makes me feel old is her reference to a “disco stick” in the below video. Is she talking about what I think she’s talking about?

Tagged with:

24 Responses to What’s a disco stick?

1. Heather says:

Lady Gaga as in “Radio Gaga” by Queen. Yep that’s where he name derives from. And her look? Well it is based on her love of Donatella Versace. Sorry just one of the many useful pieces of info I have in my head. I actually can’t believe she is only 23. I mean she looks at least 10 years older than that I think. I gotta say though I like her music and her nonsense style. She’s having fun! She doesn’t take herself too seriously and why the heck should she. The world would be a boring place without the likes of people like Lady Gaga. Hell if I had her bravado I wouldn’t be sitting behind a desk all day wishing I had taken more risks.

Oh yeah disco stick? It’s what you are thinking AllyG.

2. Mitchell Hunter says:

A disco stick is a big dick. She wanted to be able to say it in a way that wouldn’t get censored. Haha.

LA – I’m sure if you studied Gaga a bit further you could learn to appreciate her in some weird and wonderful way. I’m going to quote something I already posted elsewhere, just because it’s easier than re-writing.

“Her career is sort of like a living and breathing art piece. She’s on the pursuit of fame fully aware of how much the attention she garners for herself only further disconnects her from her own understanding of who she is. Her entire career is a commentary on our societies obsession with fame, money, and sex.”

It’s true. :)

3. roisin says:

oh, I was thinking ‘who is this Lady Gaga?’ and then you made the CBC comment… and that is the reason I don’t know who she is either.

4. Krista says:

While she may not make a lot of sense “artistically” at this moment, I bet she would have done quite well among the Andy Warhol Factory people.

She does need pants. Yes, I’m old.

5. L-A says:

Gaga just confuses me because I have no idea who she is or where her pants are. I’ve seen pics of her before now and always without pants. But this is not a comment on her talent (or lack thereof, depending on your point of view) as I have only heard the beginning of that disco stick song today.

I agree with Krista about Andy Warhol…I bet he would have loved her. He probably would have joined her in the pantslessness. So maybe a good thing he isn’t around.

My music intake really is limited to CBC Radio One. Which is a sure sign that I have abandoned my 20s.

6. Abby says:

Let me begin by saying, I love Lady Gaga! I love her songs and i love her as an artist.
    her socio-economic advise really inspires me to not only go green but be a better person.
    her three kids are adorable and her clothes are SO CHIC <333
    anyways, mad love and peace to everyone out there… go buy lada gaga's album and make sure you support her non stop!

x0oH ; abbY.

7. A.J says:

In all honesty I think that Ms. Gaga is flipping fabulous! it’s possible that it’s only because i’m 17 and am into new and different, but she’s just so bold and vibrant, not to mention a musical genius (or at least in my eyes). Her music is so creative, and great for dancing!!! Gotta love the GaGa!

8. L-A says:

I won’t call myself a fan, but the more I know about her, the more I appreciate her. Her music is catchy, she really is a performance artist (and is really committed to her performances…otherwise she’d wear pants in public), and she knows how to work the media. So props to GaGa for that.

9. Emily says:

It’s funny you are all referencing Andy Warhol because yes, she references him as one of her biggest influences visually. She comes out of the New York art scene. The way she dresses is an expression of art whether or not it goes over your head. It’s not because you are old, I am 25, and I get it. I’m also a little astounded that you would say Britney Spears and Carrie Underwood are more respected “artists” when they were both handed their careers and Lady Gaga is self made. She wrote for several well known artists before getting a deal of her own. Oh, and what the hell is CBC?

The CBC is Canadian pubic radio/TV. If you’re American, it’s similar to NPR and PBS, except all rolled into one.

The more I’ve seen of Lady Gaga, the more I’ve come to understand that a lot of her persona is a performance piece. Which intrigues me. I’ve since read about her being influenced by Warhol, which makes a lot of sense. Whether I’m a fan or not, I can fully respect/appreciate her if she’s doing this as an artist.

10. nbgr says:

come on folks… Gaga has got to be one of the boldest performers to emerge from the generally all-too generic Top 10 pop wasteland in the last decade. The music is catchy.. and she is pretty much the real deal; from closeted songwriter.. laying an popular base in the NYC underground to launch a career. Props are due here!

11. Adriana says:

Hey, guys. About the disco thing-no, actually contrary to popular belief :-) it’s not. Apparently it’s her custom made prop, and even if it wasn’t, it’s definitely not that because on (i think it was her) twitter, her bio used to say “Has anyone seen my disco stick?” heheheh

Interesting Gaga fact. Thanks! I don’t know about Ally, but I had no idea either way and was totally relying on others for the info.

Actually, before this post, I seriously couldn’t name one Lady Gaga song. Can’t say I’ve been won over as a fan, but more and more I like her. Even if she doesn’t wear pants.

12. amanda says:

only old people dnt know who lady gaga is
    her music is awsomee

We are totally old.

it’s true. And I won’t speak for Ally, but I’m not even remotely cool or with it. (I’m not sure I ever was with it).

• Julie says:

Hi, I was passing by and I was wonderin’ what a Disco Stick was too…but I figured the most likely thing that everyone else thought, really it’s the only thing that can be called a “disco stick” and can be kinda ah…eh…rode…eh…by the way I’m 16 and I knew who Lady Gaga was since I heard her song Just Dance on 104.7 in USA (that’s were I live:)

P.S. Ladies your not old if you think she needs to wear pants…cuz my mom doesn’t think so…well actually she’s never seen a pic of Lady Gaga…lolz…but your also not old if you don’t know who she is. It’s just that more than likely teens listen to stuff like I do, 104.7…100.1…103.9..stuff like that…well at least in Columbia they do…
          Buh bye!

Aw, thanks for saying we’re not old! I’m sort of getting into the whole Lady Gaga craze. Although I can’t appreciate her latest song. Poker Face is fantastic however.

13. Angie says:

Hi, I am 16 years old, and personally I think Gaga is so overrated and doesn’t actually have talent, and her clothing is too outragous for me. But that’s just my opinion.

But from what I have heard, a disco stick isn’t a penis. I heard it actually is a glowing, sparkling, shimmery dildo.

I’m not completely sure if that’s right, but I actually can believe it. I mean it makes sense, she is kinda out there..

But hey if you like her, that’s good! I just personally don’t.

14. Haphazard Tent says:

I notice a lot of comments about new and references to Andy Warhol and Gaga’s fashion statements — I am old, but I’ve seen this before. It was called Roxy Music. Nothing wrong with it, though I wish the music wasn’t so contrived.

15. wat says:

Just a question here for the other readers.

Did you guy’s feel your intelligence slipping as you read this blogs post?

Aw, we love hate mail. If it makes you feel better, I feel my intelligence slipping as I write my “blogs” posts. Hope you come back for more dump crappy posts! xoxo

16. [...] with you. It took us awhile to come around to you. I remember the days when I was all, “who’s Lady Gaga“? And then Intern Eden dressed like you on the streets of Toronto. I started to find you [...]