Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Dressing Dudes: The Elected Official Edition | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

L-A: I’m going to unofficially declare this past Tuesday as Cole Harbour Day: MLA Darrell Dexter was voted in as premier and Sid “the Kid” Crosby and the Penguins won their game, meaning there is a game seven for the Stanley Cup (sports fans, you can pump your fists and cheer. But that’s all the sports talk happening here though).  And while I congratulate them both, I think that these two guys both need some fashion advice.  We covered Sidney Crosby yesterday (take his millions and get some tailored, custom-made clothes).  With that Cole Harbourite dealt with, what of Dexter?

As I’m sure it will be ignored by the incoming government, I’m taking on the responsibility of appointing Ally and I to the new Ministry of Fashion. And while one transition team focuses on the budget, we will be the transition team that focuses on how the Premier Elect should dress for his newfound success.

For starters, he is overly fond of plaid shirts. I’m not saying never to plaid and a blazer, but I am saying cool it. Because while MTV’s Dan Levy is rocking the plaid as a sort of geek chic, I’m not sure that it’s working for Darrell (p.s. Dan has some style tips for the dudes. Also, Dan & Jessi: call me! Let’s be BFF and watch The Hills together).  I am, however, saying no to this:

dexter_1

My mom always said you can pair a pattern with a stripe, but she was usually referring to decorating the living room and not outfits for Premiers-to-be. Now, I’m not saying that you can’t do this look at all and props to Darrell for trying, but too much is happening here. A different blue and green perhaps. A different stripe and pattern. Mixing colours and patterns isn’t for amateurs:

wcw_artfulmix

(photo/caption via What Chuck Wore)

(Do we overdo it with the Ed Westwick/Chuck Bass? Is that even possible…particularly in a post about menswear?)

Since mixing your patterns doesn’t come naturally to everyone, I suggest you ask someone for advice.  Any reputable menswear retailer should be able to give you advice. Even if he suggests a tie that is out of your budget, take note of what he is suggesting and then go look for something similar in a different price range. Or hit up Winner’s to see if they have the same tie for less. But do treat yourself to a nice tie every now and then. You’ll be happy you did. For Darrell, I suggest just about any of these orange ties. I know, I know: NDP buying Hermès? Never! But come on! You are only Premier once! Treat yourself to just one of those lovelies. Keep it simple in pattern (don’t get the one with the penguins) and you’ll have that tie for years. You can frame it when you retire or sell it on consignment.

AllyG: If we were talking about brands of toilet paper you would find an excuse to talk about Chuck Bass. I applaud this. I also applaud Premier Designate Darrell Dexter on fashion risk taking. I think I tilted my head back and forth for a full four minutes before concluding that he was, indeed, wearing a green polka dot tie. Here is where I have to argue with you L-A…I think I like it. That’s right. You heard me. Cue the Best.Catfight.In.History. It’s on.

They had me at: “I wanted to see what the competition looked like…with clothes on”. Sweeeeet!

Anyhoo, back to elected official fashion and Premier Designate Darrell Dexter (who I’m sure would be thrilled he is mentioned in the same post as The.Best.Catfight.Ever from Dallas). I really feel Darrell has to look no further than Hugh Jackman

Hughj

Isn’t Hugh FABULOUS? I personally love the scarf accent. It’s jaunty, frisky, it’s confident. Or what about the classic sweater and blazer combo?

preppy-4-0308-lg

Some may argue the hanky in the pocket is too much. I would tell them to write their own $^%&% blog.

If I can be frank, I think everyone wins when they dress a la Justin Timberlake as seen in the Sexyback video. Win-win all around. Bonus points if you have the song playing while entering the Legislature.

In more awesome news, I just spilt coffee all down my white shirt while attempting the Justin Timberlake “slide” in my rolling office chair.

14 Responses to Dressing Dudes: The Elected Official Edition

1. connote says:

Totally get what you’re saying about Premier-D D’s fashion choices. And I’m not making excuses.

But if you’re a premier with padding, it’s more difficult to carry any flash look. It’s easier to make anything look good if you’re super-duper skinny, or cut, a la Hugh Jackman or any of the other underfed celeb types out there.

It’s tough for any of us on the chunky/chubby/bearish tip to feel comfy in today’s purposely slimming styles

2. El Jeffe says:

You fail to comment on the fact that both Hugh and sweater-hanky man are wearing double breasted jackets. This jacket style is denoted by the wider overlap and 2 paralell columns of buttons. Double breasted coats may only be worn by fashion models, extraordinary celebrities, or Archie (please see link).

Oh great, now I am going to be watching Sexyback all day. Not Appropriate For Toddlers.

I like the polkadot tie! Obviously!

4. L-A says:

Woah. What is Betty wearing? Post for another day.

I was hesitant to suggest a jacket style for Darrell. I know it is tough to dress padding – doesn’t matter if you’re male or female. Russell Smith does address dressing different shapes in his advice column: http://www.dailyxy.com/ask-mr-smith/askmrsmith-style/outfitting-the-vertically-challenged/ – but I have to say, finding info on this was not easy. Things I found on GQ just didnt’ apply as I couldn’t recommend some things in good conscience.

But, we are open to tips from guys on dressing fashionably. We can give you our thoughts, but we aren’t dudes, so our advice is a bit limited by lack of experience.

5. L-A says:

@Eden Find a radio friendly version for the toddler? Also: no problems with the tie on it’s own. My problem is with the overall outfit, that green + that blue + those polka dots + that suit. Individually, they are all fine. Together, I had some issues.

I chose to distract her with Elmo instead.

On dressing big dudes: it is totally a problem that all suits right now are cut narrow. Mr. Downstairs tried on some frickin’ Hugo Boss the other day and couldn’t make it work! On the upside, this has lead to the purchase of his first made-to-measure. SWOON.

7. Krista says:

I’m so glad you’ve covered this very important topic. “Makeover” was a favourite pasttime of mine in the Gallery at the House of Assembly.

With men, get ye to a *good* tailor. Throw out anything you bought because Sipowicz, Regis, or Tony Soprano wore it.

With women, throw out anything bought before 2005. Suck it up and hire a stylist who’s your age. No T, A, or VPL. Pantsuits mean business. Keep the crazy outfits/accessories/etc to a minimum for maximum credibility.

Also, I’m naming names: Cecil Clarke is the best-dressed MLA. Period.

8. allygarbs says:

Yay! My husband’s first comment on the blog! Welcome, “El Jeffe”!

9. L-A says:

I’m going to add that just because wide shoulders/shoulder pads are back, that doesn’t mean you can dig out the ones you owned in a previous life. Buy new ones or do without.

I agree with Krista. A tailor is your best friend. And if you work in the public eye, hire a stylist. It’ll be worth every penny. You are elected to represent the people: so do it with style.

(And welcome El Jeffe! My husband totally hasn’t commented. Boo to him).

10. kristen says:

you could never overdo it talking about chuck bass. never.
    drool.

11. Dressing Dudes: The Elected Official Edition | Fa.shion.me says:

[…] link: Dressing Dudes: The Elected Official Edition Ms. Fashion is Email this author | All posts by Ms. Fashion | Topic: Fashion Advice | Tags: […]

12. i’m so happy you’ve got the lingo right and are calling him premier-designate as opposed to premier-elect. but i’d expect nothing less.

also, i’ve been praying at the church of timberlake for a number of years now. justin kicked the world in the arse hard enough for it to finally realize that “baggy” is not a look.

(i half-expected the world to take notice once andre 3000 started preaching the faith, but i suppose beggars can’t be choosers…)