Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | I seriously love Zellers! | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

AllyG: So, I should probably be embarrassed to admit this, but I hadn’t really frequented Zellers prior to moving to Bedford. Zellers is where the average Bedfordite heads when we need something department store-ish in a fix. You know, photo frames, nails etc.

I did not realize that they have clothes, like…nice clothes. For reals.

They also feature a line by Alfred Sung, the renowned Canadian designer. Well, I think he’s renowned.

This stuff is seriously affordable, good quality, and super cute. Take a look:

whitepants

Tell me that Jennifer Aniston would not wear that and I will call you a dumb liar. Ok, so she would probably spend a trillion dollars more on an outfit that looks essentially the same.

whiteshirt

See? Same classic, tailored look. I swear that girl can rock the white shirt.

This next look is perfect for work or a post-cricket cocktail or two:

pinkskirt

If the last look was Aniston, this look is totally Blair when she is summering in the Hamptons.

leighton_meester

Cute, non? Serena, on the other hand, should place that dress quietly in a garbage can and walk slowly out the door. Horrible fit on her.

Ok, I love, love, love this next look. I want so badly to wear this look this summer. Someone needs to purchase this and walk beside me so I can breathe in your fabulousness:

stripes

THIS IS THE CUTEST SUMMER OUTFIT EVER. Look at the prices! Just look! That’s crazypants! Sigh, Sung…you’ve done it again.

Thoughts, L-A? Bedford ain’t looking half bad now eh?

Totally off-topic, I want to see if we get some traffic if I mention ROBERT PATTISON’S HAIR (similar to the traffic we received talking about Lady Gaga’s disco stick). L-A and I have the best time reading the search terms people use to find our site. Twihards? Are you here?

robert

L-A: I was actually in Zellers the other day with J. Lau and I was saying how I always forget about Zellers. But I think that has more to do with the fact that I don’t have a car.  I’m always a bit disappointed when I walk into a Zellers. They have these fun TV ads, but when I walk into the store it’s like Zeddy threw up merchandise all over the joint. It’s the same sort of disenchantment I feel when I walk into a Target in the States.

blythe-mcq-ad-15

The ads are all pretty (and not easy to find on the internets, which is why you get the cute Blythe ads), but the stores are not. I end up feeling like I’m still just in a Walmart and where the hell are all these cute clothes I’m told I’ll find.  It’s like they spend all their money getting designers on board and getting ads out, and then forget to make the stores look nice. So, I agree: those Alfred Sung outfits are adorable! They are totally shades of Jennifer Anniston in HJNTIY (but on a budget!). They make me wish it was summertime (oh wait! it is summer! Maybe someone should tell the Halifax weather that). Alas, I am unlikely to buy them. Not because of an anti-Zellers snobbery, but because I’m a bit of a lazy shopper and I hate the stores. For my budget designer wear, I’ll stick to my Joe Fresh.

joefresh

Because while shopping for clothes at the grocery store is still a bit weird, at least Joe Mimran (who I have just learned was the guy who hired Alfred Sung & turned him into a renowned Canadian designer) understands the importance of displaying those clothes in real life (not just in your ads) that actually makes you want to shop there.

And before I go post this, I’ll weigh in on Robert Pattinson’s hair: I found a hilarious blog post that puts other celebrity hair on his head. I think my favourite may be Jay Manuel’s hair on him.

0 Responses to I seriously love Zellers!

1. Lia says:

Did you know that Zellers is owned by the same company that owns Target in the US… occasionally there are Target-ish items in both the clothing and accessories department. Seriously.

• Jed says:

It’s not owned by Target, its owned by the Company that owns Lord and Taylor. But they do carry Target-ish merchandise.

2. L-A says:

I thought I had heard that about Zellers, but was never sure. I’d always hoped that they would just turn Zellers into a Target. The stores are already red. I should probably try shopping in Zellers more often…sounds like I might actually have some luck finding nice things (although, my carless lifestyle means this won’t happen much…I’ll only bus so far for shopping).

3. allygarbs says:

L-A, that’s it. You are coming out to spend a day in Bedford with me when I take my vacation in August. We will go to Zellers, All Dressed Up and get a fruit shake and Pete’s frootique. We’ll top it off by ending the day at the Chicken Burger. You’ll love it.

Lia, that is the greatest news ever. EVER.

4. L-A says:

If the day includes eating Chicken Burger, then I am in! I love Chicken Burger.

5. Mitchell Hunter says:

I think AllyG has a convoluted perspective of Zellers being that she frequents the Bedford location. Have you ever been to the Bayers Lake location, or even worse, the Dartmouth location? They are so ghetto and filled with crazies that they are nearly unbearable to step into. They feel like dollar store versions of Walmart that haven’t had any updating (or store security) for years.

I’ll stick to real stores, even if that means I’m overpaying. I prefer a “high end” experience while shopping, instead of feeling like I’m going to be stampeded by soccer moms looking for the sale in aisle 9…but to each their own, right? Maybe if Zellers sold R.Patt’s hair it would be worth it. ;)

PS: Who knew Gaga and R.Patt would be so good for SEO?

• ms says:

i LOVED this comment, especially how he managed to bring it back to Lady Gaga and vampires.

Classic MH. Don’t ever stop.

6. L-A says:

The Bayers Lake Zellers was the one I was in on the weekend & it was horrible. That is fully the basis for my dislike of Zellers. It didn’t help that everyone there was walking slooooowly & randomly coming to a full stop in front of us. We looked for what we needed (dishes), didnt’ find them and got the heck out of there.

7. Krissy says:

I just stumbled upon your blog the other day, and I love it! It also makes me infinitely happy to hear you’re from Bedford!! I lived there for the past 16 year and just moved to Toronto two months ago. Gosh, I miss it. (NS in general, really.) Anyway, I just wanted to say keep up the wonderful blog! I’ll keep reading and wishing I was there in Bedford with you. :)

Thanks, Krissy! So glad you like the blog. Bedford is totally le awesome. I will keep writing about it for you so that you can stay in the loop!

8. Downtown says:

The fact that an outfit from Zellers and an outfit from, say, an actual clothing manufacturer look the same in a photoshopped image does not mean they look the same in real life.

Even if you DID go on vacation to the Hamptons (in 2005, when bermuda shorts were still an acceptable stylistic choice), I would still be able to see the fabric quality from here.

If the price of something ends with “.97,” it usually looks like it.

I agree. I think that’s why I’ve always been so disappointed/underwhelmed on the few times I’ve gone into a store that is trying to sell me budget versions of designer clothing. It’s easy to make something look good in a photoshoot, hard to make that translate to real life.

I’m pretty sure that if I was vacationing in the Hamptons, Zellers (or the like) wouldn’t have been my first stop for outfits.

I also kind of hate the throw-away nature of budget clothes. I’d much rather spend a bit more on quality that’s going to last beyond two wears.

Great points, but the fact is, some people are on a tight budget but still want to be able to incorporate trends into their style. I found the quality of Zellers Alfred Sung Pure line to be quite good, actually. True, they are not as high quality as you would expect from a $300 pair of pants, but I’d think they are a great alternative for those who don’t have hundreds to drop down on clothes.

And I totally think Bermuda style shorts are STILL an acceptable style choice. People could throw raw eggs at me and I would still wear Bermuda style shorts. But, that’s just my opinion. I’ve been known to wear worse.

9. […] brings me to the next item on my agenda.  Almost a year ago, I wrote about my love for Zellers. L-A disagreed with me, and talked about clothes as investments, and you don’t invest in […]