L-A: Happy Labour Day!
Maybe you’re off marching in support of worker’s rights or maybe you’re nursing your second cup of coffee. Or maybe, if you’re BabyG, you’re thinking about sending your mom into labour. Either way, I hope you’ve got the day off today. We’re sort of going to take the day off and just give you some blogs that we love to read. So here’s your Top Five Labour Day Blog Reads from L-A (in no particular order; all of them we follow on Blog Lovin’):
1. White Lightning: I loves this blog for its flashbacks to the 1990s, for her awesome and entertaining writing, and because she knows her shit when it comes to fashion. She interviewed Tavi for the NY Times, she got to be in Pop magazine, and if that’s not enough, just read how she compared Gaga to Truth or Dare Madonna and then questioned Gaga’s choice in shoes and bags. Knows her shit. She also posts pics of her favourite outfits. Can’t say I love them all, but I do love that she has this awesome sense of style. Oh, and she also has crushes on Mark Ronson and Chuck Bass, just to make her more awesome.
2. WhoWhatWear: This blog comes to my email inbox everyday with trend reports or answers to questions like: “what was she was wearing?” and “what would she wear?” (really important questions). I think Ally would approve of this site because they ask “What Would Sienna Wear?” – a question I know Ally asks every morning. They also have a book and I want it (hint to people who buy me pressies during major gift-giving holidays).
3. The Coveted: fashion and style blogging from Jennine (founder of Independent Fashion Bloggers) and beauty blogging from Sonja. Honest reviews that are up front when the product is from a company rep (although, my brain still can’t wrap around the idea that anyone could honestly like jeggings) and some personal style for good measure, are few of the things that make up this blog (there is just too much happening with any one blog for me to summarize in 100 words or less. I’m just telling you the bits I like/think you might like). I appreciate blogs that do give you pics of their own style, something I’m not sure we’ll ever do here, seeing as I hate any and all photos of myself. And it’s just a pretty looking blog, which makes me want to find a way to make this blog prettier (maybe it’ll be our 6 month present to ourselves).
4. Refinery 29: Just plain awesome. I’m talking about the writing and the fashion they focus on. Like a round up of Little Red Dresses or of the Most Absurd Perfume Names Ever. And that’s just the tip of the awesome iceberg.
5. PR Couture: This is like looking behind the curtain to see how fashion and fashion PR really works. One feature of this site I really like, and think that people who aren’t actually in the fashion biz will like, is Show Me the Pretty, where PR Couture asks indie fashion designers about their work and then lets them ask questions about PR.
Okay, that’s it. I could give you more blogs I read/love, but it’d be a never ending post and it’s time I go clean my apartment and deal with car rental plans (my mom is coming to visit! for one night only! from California! Yes, that sounds crazy, but long story short: it’s not as crazy as it sounds). Let’s end with a picture of La Roitfeld, as we haven’t talked about her in ages. This is one is from another blog favourite, Jak & Jil blog (Canadian!), and it’s Carine headed to a Dior show.
For reals? Only she could pull this off and look so fab. The rest of us? Most of us would look like bag ladies. So stand back in awe of La Roitfeld.