Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Things I Heart: Breton Stripes | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

L-A: As you may recall, I mentioned that my favourite part of Coco Avant Chanel was her Breton striped shirt.  Sure it was an overall good movie, but I’m not kidding about how much I loved her shirt.  It is possibly one of my favourite styles out there. I love it so much it gets it’s own post rather than getting lumped into a Favourite Friday.

26412630_

To be honest, I didn’t know anything about Breton stripes until a Who What Wear email about the style landed in my inbox.  Apparently it’s the style of shirt worn by fisherman in Brittany.  All I know is that those fisherman have great style and if I had to have a work uniform, that’d be my first choice.

One of the things I enjoy about these shirts is how versatile they can be.  For fall, I love to wear with them with a peacoat (natch.  Navy is standard, but mine is a fuschia-ish colour) and jeans. In spring I like them with khakis and a pair of ballet flats. I also like them with a denim skirt. It seriously goes with just about anything (okay, maybe not quite. But it goes with a lot).

Like finding that perfect black dress or shoe, it is not always easy to find the perfect striped shirt.  It is often imitated, but most of the time, it’s a sad not-quite-right version. The Who What Wear roundup gave me a few leads on where I could go to find these shirts, but it wasn’t enough. So I’ve done some internet window shopping on a hunt to find more. That means it polyvore-fun-time!

Not included in that roundup are two other sites I’ve since found that sell this shirt – one British and one French – and both are pretty much devoted to the French nautical look.  I can get behind that.

I just wish there were more available in our city by the sea. I did find a reasonable facsimile at H&M and Joe Fresh (and bought both).  And I actually stopped in my tracks one afternoon when I saw a navy one by Petit Bateau at Elsie’s Used Clothing on Queen Street.  I’ll admit that I was maybe a little bit devastated to see that it was a very small size small.  I hope one of you runs out to buy it, so I know that it has gone to a good home.

0 Responses to Things I Heart: Breton Stripes

1. amy says:

I didn’t realize this look had a name either. I just think of them as “sailor stripes”. I have a sweater from Joe Fresh too, and a Gap one I got a couple of years ago. I would really love to find a sweaterdress with breton stripes!

I’m the same – no idea they had a real name. It was either a sailor shirt or “boat necked striped shirt”. It’d make an awesome sweater dress.

Eeee! Love them! Wish I could run up to Elsie’s!

3. auntiefashion says:

I have one of those shirts. I wear it with a beret while I ride my bike past the Eiffel Tower with a baguette under my arm.

Of course you do! What else would you wear when you take your baguette for a bike ride?

In all seriousness, I once went to dinner at Paris Las Vegas (but stayed at a sketchy hotel that was probably in an episode of CSI). They had a dude greeting people in the front entrance (Bonjour! to everyone who passed by) and he was wearing a striped shirt, beret and jaunty red scarf around his neck. He also had a bike with a baguette in the basket. Because that is how everyone in Paris dresses! (except for the can-can dancers. According to Vegas, there are lots of can can dancers in Paris).

• auntiefashion says:

Yeah, those guys at Paris Las Vegas are so unauthentic. None of them reek of wine and Gitanes.

Now I’m curious. Which hotel did you stay at?

There was also zero dog crap on the faux cobblestone streets. Trop unauthentic.

It was a very sketchy Howard Johnson, far off the strip (saving money as it was an overnight before getting a flight). I expected to find dead bodies in the ice machine or blood stains on the mattress (we worked real hard to avoid touching surfaces).

4. ledefile says:

We HEART this look too! :)

xox,
    Jean/L.E.Défilé

5. […] all know that I am in love with nautical stripes. Probably too much. If walk into a store and there is a nautical striped shirt hiding on a rack […]