Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Am I getting old? Is it just me? | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

AllyG: Ok. I realize I am now a 31 year old mother whose uniform on mat leave is sweatpants and plastic headbands, but seriously?

I’m all about bo-ho and teeny meeny items. Proof exists here:

(Yes, I heart that outfit AND Kate Moss)

I just can’t get down with the current length of mini-dresses. The other day while driving down Barrington Street, I saw a woman who looked to be of the reasonable sort wearing the tiniest dress imaginable. Now, mind you, she was wearing tights and paired the dress with the most adorable pair of ankle boots, but it had me wondering, “how short is too short?” (do I sound like Carrie Bradshaw there? Hope so!). I’m used to seeing micro on TV…

Source (actually, that blog has fantastic info on Serena’s fashion on Gossip Girl…check it out)

Serena, seen here in a LaRok Metal Fringe Halter Dress, continually crosses the line on Gossip Girl.

Seriously, you are veering into girly bit territory here. Is this acceptable? Am I turning into my mother? Like, how is she going to get out of a car?

Remember when Britney was friends with Paris? That, my friends, is what triggered the downward spiral. Look at them! Paris is proudly presenting Brit’s girly-bits. And look! Look! Britney is effing wearing leopard print! AND WHITE SHOES WITH LEOPARD PRINT!

Back to mini-dresses. Rouland Mouret is launching a line of mini-dresses just in time for the office Christmas party where you act like a tart and blame it on the sauce the next day. According to Elle UK, “The designer, famed for his now legendary Galaxy dress, has designed a range called ‘Rainbow’ under his RM by Roland Mouret label. The collection, which will only be available on Net-A-Porter, is made up of six mini-dresses and one mini-skirt, all in eye-popping colours.” http://www.elleuk.com provides a sneak peek…

Love the purple, hate the puffy dress in the middle, fell asleep looking at the dress on the right.

Ladies? Weigh in please!

L-A: So glad we are talking about this! I have seen the asses of too many ladies this fall! I’d like to add that sheer tights do not cut it when your skirt has hiked itself up to your waist.¬† I’m not saying short skirts are a bad thing, I’m just saying you need to cover your ass.

0 Responses to Am I getting old? Is it just me?

1. Ivy says:

I think if you go short AND tight, like the LaRok Halter Dress, all you need is a pimp.

2. Marah says:

I love that navy minidress. I think as long as your bum is covered and you are wearing leggings (which are pants in my world), and you are not at work, you are okay until 35. But I may be biased because I really love that minidress and want to wear it.

3. edenkaill says:

I have opinions about this!

I was just thinking yesterday that I like short skirts because they mean you can be sexy in the winter – I was walking along in a big wool coat and scarf and turtleneck, but because my coat is 3/4 length and I was wearing stockings and heels, I still felt totally hot.

But there is a line when a skirt becomes too short, and that line is comfort. A lady tugging at her skirt or refusing to walk up stairs is not sexy. This is why, when I am wearing a short skirt, I make extra careful to wear decent underpants (boyshorts generally) so I can stop thinking about it and let the wind do what it will.

4. jo says:

I agree with the ladies…

I LOVE short, but a girl must proceed with caution, lest you look trampy. Or vampy. Or campy?

And it can’t be too short. Or too tight. If a skirt, it must be paired with something classy. But it’s the age thing that kills me. The “can’t do mini over 35″ is killing me softly.

Oh! You can do mini over 35! Just not “trampy mini”, but to be fair, I don’t think trampy mini is hot at any age. Not even for Blake Lively. I think it’s sort of ridiculous.

5. Marah says:

The 35 was totally arbitrary and is because I’m 31 – if I was over 35 it would probably be 40….

• jo says:

It’s a real rule! Well, according to “the rules”, you know, the same rules that say no white after labour day, and I have certainly broken that one.

If you watch “What Not To Wear”, there’s a shot of a street sign in the intro that says “No Mini Skirts After 35″… there’s an interesting discussion on their website about hemlines and age

Stacy London sure knows how to rock a short skirt.

Technically, the rule is no mini skirts. That doesn’t mean no short skirts. It’s a fine line, but you know right away when it’s been crossed (at least you do when you see it on someone else).