Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Holiday! Celebrate! | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

L-A: Natal Day is kind of a fake holiday. I mean, in some places they can’t even bother to name the holiday. It’s just Civic Holiday. Wheeee! Civic Holiday! But some provinces and cities try to be creative. Like British Columbia Day. Or Alberta Day. Clearly a stretch. But who cares what you call it, so long as you call it a day off work.

In Halifax we call it Natal Day. I always thought this had something to do with the Navy or being Nautical. Nautical Day would be awesome. It has nothing to do do with either. It’s the city’s “birthday” (I guess natal has something to do with birthing) and we celebrate [with] things like fireworks and beer. I’m pretty sure the whole thing is made up, but like I said, it’s a day off and that only means one thing: Madonnatime!

My husband claims that song sucks. I claim he sucks.

The holiday also means this post is phoned in. But that may have something to do with sustaining a soft tissue injury when I threw myself off the curb on Thursday (i.e. I’m not really into typing with sore right wrist).

Because it is Monday, I’m going to talk shoes for half a minute. This fall, I am determined to rock these shoes:

source
They will be mine. Oh yes, they will be mine.

Ally: I have nothing to add other than that I am spending the Natal day eve watching Big Brother 12. I’m not proud of myself. I tell myself I’m doing research on What Not to Wear for the blog. Seriously, Rachel?

I think even L-A would agree that leggings could qualify as pants for you. Anything, anything would be better.

Leggings as a shirt even. For realsies!

Trash TV makes me feel better about myself and my current outfit of pigtails (due to not showering today…due to cranky baby wanting “mom-ma” at all times), sports bra, white maternity t-shirt from Old Navy (in fairness, it’s perfectly oversized à la Nicole Richie’s white shirts) and beat up jean shorts.

0 Responses to Holiday! Celebrate!

1. SP says:

Wow. I have not seen Rachel before. Impressive.

2. kimberleymosher says:

Ummm… i kinda love watching how ridiculous Rachel is on BB12. I’m hoping she sticks around for a while, just so i have a real excuse to watch totally trashy TV!

This is the first I’ve seen of Rachel or BB12 (I haven’t watched that show since it’s first season). I leave the really trashy TV to Ally. It’s her area of expertise.

3. Rhia says:

*Heritage* Day in Alberta. This is when we eat our ethnic foods!

Ah, but still a made up holiday. Not that I’m complaining. I’d like more made up holidays in the summer. I know the cashiers at the grocery store were pretty stoked about the extra pay and the quiet day in the store.

4. Ange Friesen says:

I was really weirded out that it’s just called “Civic Holiday” in Ontario. Really weirded out. Although I guess it gives me license to make it whatever holiday I want, which is sort of awesome. Next year, I’m thinking Picnic Day. Or maybe Wig Day. Or Compliment Strangers day.

5. L-A says:

It is odd that most of Ontario can’t be bothered to give the day a name. But I sort of like it better than calling it BC Day. It isn’t trying very hard, and I’m okay with that.

August may be too hot to celebrate Wig Day. The calendar in our kitchen tells me that it is Picnic Day in Australia, so you could always celebrate that. (Although, I don’t know how true this is – we’ll have to check with Martin, Our (recently appointed, as in, two minutes ago) Resident Expert on All Things Down Under).