Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Back to School for Grown Ups | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

L-A: Yeah, that’s right. I went back to school. Ally has worked her mad PR skillz on me and now I want to be just like her (I’m studying PR).  I haven’t had a full day of actual class, but I have been going to school over the past two days and the hardest thing (aside from meeting lots of new people) was what to wear without looking like a complete try-hard. Not easy.

Did I pull it off?

Honestly, I have no idea. That’s the trouble with picking out an outfit and going into a room full of strangers. You need your friends to tell you that you look cute. Otherwise, it can feel like you got dressed in the dark. Sure I’ve got my husband, but seriously? He’s the guy who told me I couldn’t wear a black pin on a turquoise jacket because it was the colours of the San Jose Sharks. I usually ignore him and he ends up getting frustrated and yelling, “why do you even ask me about these things?”

I went with an outfit that I’d wear to work during the summer. My favourite pair of Lacoste khakis, flats and this Joe Fresh blouse:

source

Did I take a picture? Nope! There are only so many first days of school that you take a picture of. Also, my coffee maker died on Monday (sad!), so I had to rush out the door early to buy coffee before I got the bus.

I’ve also sported a blazer and I’ll be doing these shoes at some point (getting into school was so last minute that I haven’t had time to buy the saddle shoes I want):

source

Is it possible to own/wear too much of the Joe Fresh stuff?

Going back to school is going to be a wardrobe adjustment. I spent the past year getting myself back into professional looking work clothes, and now I need to re-adjust to school clothes.  If you were going back to class this fall, what would you be wearing?  The program is meant to turn me into a professional, so do I want to dress in office attire everyday? Or do I want to go casual like a lot of students? (I won’t be using Jersey Shore for inspiration, but I have seen that on campus…thankfully not among my classmates).

10 Responses to Back to School for Grown Ups

1. Ali says:

I started back at school last week and my program is a professional degree as well…however it comes with a dress code! I had to make major wardrobe change from my summer work attire (cruddy o’l camp t-shit with whatever shorts were kind of clean) to professional wear Mondays and business casual Tuesdays – Friday.

Needless to say, one of my best friends is now Joe Fresh and I don’t think you can have too much!

If I were going back to school I would probably continue to wear some of my more casual work attire, but would save the super professional stuff for the internship. Probably a lot of dark jeans, nicer tops and cute shoes and accessories.

And Joe Fresh is one of my favorite places to get work clothes, you can never have too much!

3. Sarah M says:

I have to be the one to disagree about Joe Fresh. I’ve had to put a moratorium on Joe Fresh because I’ve found that since it’s so accesible (I go in for oranges, I come out with an outfit!) I tend to buy on impulse. There are some things that Joe Fresh is great for – cute disposable shoes, i.e. – and others that I find I wash and then never wear again because they have shrunk/bagged out/changed colour. My husband saw me wearing a Joe Fresh t-shirt one day and said, “that t-shirt looks really cheap.” If he’s noticing….ugh.

The other thing with disposable fashion is this: If I were to add up the Joe Fresh clothes that I’ve bought that are no longer really wearable (unless I am painting a baby’s room or something) and the Joe Fresh clothes that I bought on impulse because they looked cute on the rack, but I’ve never really worn them, I would be able to go out and purchase something worthwhile at a locally owned store. Disposable fashion is just that. Disposable.

4. Amy says:

To Sarah’s point above, I have bought a lot of things there that I no longer/never wore, just because they were super cheap and going in for eggs and milk and coming out with new clothes makes grocery shopping that much more fun. Can you have too much Joe Fresh? Yes, you can. But if you’re picky it can be a great place to stock up on the basics for work. I like their little wrap dresses and they now have those big long droopy wrappy cardigans (how’s that for a description? maybe I should be going back to school to learn to speak English) that are great for fall. I think the biggest issue with Joe Fresh is fit. I have learned the hard way that no matter how cute it looks hanging you MUST try it on because the stuff tends to fit in a very odd way.

I think you and Sarah are right. I’ve bought a few shirts that quickly became painting/bedtime shirts and not fit for public consumption. The low prices and convenience are so tempting, but I have to check myself whenever I’m at the Joe Fresh store. I do it right – buy only what I love and what fits, I get cute clothes that last me a season or two. If I buy stuff because it’s “ooh! cute! and only $6.99!” I waste my money and closet space.

5. jo says:

I agree with everyone re: Joe…I LOVE it. And I LOVE that I can just slip in a cute dress with milk and eggs. You can’t help but love it, especially when you’re on a budget. I have lots of faves that have gotten lots of wear, but to Sarah’s point, I also have things I hardly wear that upset me because I probably could have invested in some quality pieces instead. I think being selective is key, and ALWAYS try on. Amy is right – some stuff just doesn’t work when it’s on an actual body.

As for dressing for school, I say “business casual” or “casual Friday” wear, which for me means awesome jeans, great shoes and a cute jacket! And accesssories!

Good luck L-A – you will rock the PR world!

The casual Friday is what I’m hoping to achieve. The only thing I really love about chillier weather is that I get to break out my jackets again. And maybe justify buying a new one.

6. JB says:

I would say you want to find a happy medium between dressy and casual. In my experience taking the PR program last year, it can be very cliquey. Myself and a few of my girlfriends in the class ended up getting the title of mean girls and/or the plastics for enjoying dressing up a little more than some. Haha. Yes, high school I know. Is it so bad if a girl wants to wear heels every now and then? All in good fun though. Enjoy the program! :)

I can’t argue with anyone who wants to dress up and put on nice shoes every now and then. As I get used to being back in school, there’s a little less pressure on what outfit I’ll wear – the first few days were the hardest because I had no idea what to expect. It was way easier to guess at what is office appropriate (and then dress it up or down, depending) than it is to know what to wear on the first day of school.

7. nikki says:

You didn’t look like a try-hard ;)
    One of the saddest days of my life was moving to central halifax- AWAY from Joe Fresh convenience. Groccery shopping is so dull now! Needless to say, I’m super happy the Waterfront Campus is close to the Portland Street Super Store, complete with Joe Fresh. Lunch hour shopping date must happen before we all get too busy with assignments!