Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Favourite Friday: the September 10th edition – ANTM, Dior Homme, and Zooey is adorable | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

L-A: Favourite this week: ANTM is back!

I don’t think the cover of Italian Vogue is going to make the show any klassier, especially since it seems they’ve got all the crazy of previous seasons (I don’t care that the girls never actually become Top Models. I just care that they entertain me). This round we’ve got two moms (!), at least one quirky weird girl, and already girls ganging up on one another and accusing each other of racism/classism/whateverism. Bonus: sisters! I loved how Tyra didn’t announce the sisters together….you, know, to up the dramz factor.    Also, can we not hate the girl with the ponies who goes to Princeton? I mean, I wish my parents had the money to buy me ponies (but only if they spent it on something else. I don’t really dig horses) and send me to Ivy League schools, but they didn’t and that’s cool. But some people have that cash and I can’t hate them for it. Unless she’s a total bitch, then you can hate her for being a bitch. My favourite girl so far: Rhianna.

I’m lousy at picking the winners, so she’ll probably get voted off tout de suite. Although, if I had my way, Kacey would be gone before the end of next episode.

I did love that they hung out in my pretend hometown – Palm Springs. Husband watched because he wanted to see footage of the Coachella Valley. Have you ever watched ANTM with a dude (or anyone) who doesn’t love fashion and has a low tolerance for screaming girls and awkwardness? If you haven’t, I highly recommend you invite someone over for such an evening. Their cringing is almost entertainment in itself. You should have seen him when the white girl popped out and did her “I love you Tyra” rap.  Best. Thing. Ever.

In general, I’m jazzed about the return of new TV shows.  Summer can be so dull. Although, Powers That Be at CTV/A Channel/Much Music: you are my least favourite thing. I am unimpressed that Gossip Girl has been moved to Much Music and that I have to pay extra to get that channel. Not cool.

Another favourite thing this week: New York Fashion Week. Not that I’m jetting off to NYC for the week, but I’m stoked that designers are starting to stream video of their shows onto the internets. The chances of me going to a Marc Jacobs show anytime soon? Slim.  The chances of me watching the video next week? About 99.9% likely to happen.

And for the “so questionable, it’s awesome” thing of the week?  Dior Homme ad featuring Jude Law. Oh yes, he is very nice to look at, but the ad is just silly.

It’s like something you’d see on SNL. They’ve taken every perfume ad cliché you can think of and made it more expensive by hiring Guy Richie and Jude Law.

Okay, time for your not at all crappy pop video of the week (Ally has been out of town this week – so I get to pick the video! yay)! Actually, the video is downright odd, but I like the song so much that I’m going to roll with it.

I think Zooey Deschanel might be the most adorable person on the planet. I want her adorable little dresses. I even want her cowboy boots. Of course, I’d never actually wear her cowboy boots if I did own them in real life. She makes me want to wear dresses like this:

source

and shoes like these:

source

and to have her bangs and spend my days being adorable. And possibly being adored by Joseph Gordon Levitt’s character Tom in (500) Days of Summer.

Is that too much to ask from life? Because I’d be nicer to him and still sing The Smiths to him in an elevator.

(p.s. It’s Happy Firthday over at Smouldering Men Appreciation Society)

14 Responses to Favourite Friday: the September 10th edition – ANTM, Dior Homme, and Zooey is adorable

This is possibly my favorite “Favourite Friday” post ever! I love ANTM, and absolutely everything about Zooey. I actually want to name a kid Zooey (after the actress and the book), but no one will let me.

My favorites on ANTM so far are Liz, Chelsey, Esther, Jane, Lexie and Rhianna. (I know, that’s like half of them…) But I really hate that first photo of Rhianna.

You can’t go wrong naming a kid after a Salinger novel. Well, I suppose you could, but I’m firmly in the camp that you can’t. I actually named my late cat after Holden’s kid brother Allie. Of course, at the time Ally McBeal was popular and everyone thought I named him after the tv show.

I don’t love that photo of Rhianna, but I otherwise liked her on the show. I think I like her because she sort of has a Liz Phair look to her.

2. Kim says:

LOVE ANTM, and also enjoy watching it with my husband as he too dislikes the catty screaming at each other and the provoked drama. Really like Ann and Esther. I think they are high fashion for sure. Looking forward to seeing Nigel again too.

Love Nigel.

It’s funny, my husband actually likes to watch CNTM, but cringes when ANTM is on. I think he’s a fan of Mr. Jay.

• America's Next Top Husband says:

it’s true, i do like mr. jay. I think he’s a far better at hosting than tyra banks is. I also respect that he’s willing to deal with dirty, cold januaries in Toronto for the show, paycheque or no paycheque

3. Allene! says:

Wow that man-perfume ad is terrible!! Man gets to be all secret-agenty while Woman gets to be his servant and dress him? And spend all her time looking in the mirror? And then not wear a shirt and then pick up on his scent like a wolf?

FAIL

It’s a fail on just about every front. Jude Law barely saves it. I hated the naked servant girl. But the dialogue?!? Ack! If that’s what passes for dialogue in a perfume ad, then someone please hire me! I can write that in my sleep.

Him: Smelling. Good.
      Her: You are Smelling. Good.
      Him: Dior. Homme.

I want those shoes.

5. Kim says:

LOVE ANTM too – it’s just so trashy it’s awesome. I was so glad that stupid Miss Teen Minnesota or whatever didn’t make the final cut! I was so tired of hearing that she was going to win, she’s awesome, she’s the prettiest girl here, she has way more experience, yadda yadda…guess your teen pageant career didn’t help ya after all, did it?! Because you’re going HOME! mwahaha. I also love Rhianna – she seems so creative and cool – I loved the outfit she wore in front of the panel with that crazy Janis Joplin feathered hat and mod mini-dress. I think the thing that most annoys me on the show is (I hate to be racist BUT) the black southern girls and their attitudes; there are always one or two of those that get up in everyone else’s face and yammer on in unintelligable english about people shouldn’t mess with them and stuff. Ugh, hate it. Hicksville. I’m sorry it’s mean, but someone else must notice this and be annoyed by it?! I swear they pay these girls to act dumber and more “country” than they are to get ratings. Ah well, the show is always entertaining anyway…

Sometimes I wonder if the girls see the earlier seasons and then just try to be like that when they get on the show. Because every season, the girls gang up on one or two and then when that girl says something nasty, they lose their shit or if one girl cries, they start yelling “if you can’t stand the heat”…seriously. Every. Effing. Season.

I liked Miss Teen Minnesota as a one episode girl. She would have annoyed me so much if she had been on all season, but I loved having her on the first episode.

I’m noticing they are letting more “older” girls on lately – and by older I mean 22+. I don’t know the world of modelling, but I wonder if they are setting these girls up to be cut mid-season because they are too old.

6. Kim says:

Oh! And I also love Zooey and pretty much want to be her. This song is one of my fav She & Him numbers

I enjoy She & Him, but that song is by far my favourite. I like it way more than anything else I’ve heard. The rest of their music falls into my “it’s okay” category, while that song is in the “it’s awesome” section.

My friend has Zooey hair (by accident! her bangs just did that naturally!) and I am totally jealous.

7. […] a photo.  However, the dress and Carey Mulligan became favourite things of the week. Not unlike Zooey Deschanel, Carey Mulligan is totally one of those fashionably adorable people. You just want to put her in […]