Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Favourite Friday: the September 17th edition – ANTM, Carey Mulligan, Ally’s music | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

L-A: ANTM is still a favourite thing this week.  I’m actually enjoying this round of ANTM. I still don’t think any of them will ever be top models, even with the addition of Italian Vogue, but I do think this cycle is far more enjoyable than the last couple of cycles.  Those irritated me to the point of no return.  I really don’t care for Kacey and I’m looking forward to seeing her cut, but I think I’m okay with their choice to send Anamaria home.

I’m a little bored of an entire episode of a girl talking about how she’s the only girl who can win and then have her sent home. Didn’t they do that last week with Miss Midwestern State?

I could have liked Anamaria as a model, but the final call was that she needed to go home because she isn’t healthy.  And this is where I’m torn (and where we enter questionable thing territory): They kind of skim over the issue. We see Anamaria talk about her calorie restricted diet, we see the judges make faces at her photo and look shocked when she says she loves to see her abs, and then Tyra tells her to go eat an avocado.  But no one ever says the words “eating disorder”.  If you’re going to address the issue, address it outright. Don’t tiptoe around and congratulate yourself for being role models to the girls watching. (For more thoughts on the episode, you should check out what Jill has to say).

Next favourite comes from an email sent to me by M.Dubs. The subject line was “how much do you love this dress?”  The answer is, a whole lot. In fact, I think I love it.

It took a second for me to get a feel for the dress. I think I’d really love it if I saw it in person. But I was stuck with only a photo.  However, the dress and Carey Mulligan became favourite things of the week. Not unlike Zooey Deschanel, Carey Mulligan is totally one of those fashionably adorable people. You just want to put her in your pocket and steal her wardrobe.

Next favourite: Atlantic Film Fest started today! Were we at the party? No, but I’m sure it was awesome. I wasn’t buying tickets because I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on a camera for school. I will be spending money on passes to see movies.  I haven’t decided which ones I definitely want to see, but the list will probably include Holy Rollers, starring Potential Pretend Boyfriend Jesse Eisenberg:

Don’t make me explain why he could be a Pretend Boyfriend. There is no explaining these things. All I can say is there is something delightfully awkward and adorable about him. Watch Adventureland and then try to argue with me.  (I am all about the adorable lately…pretty soon I’m going to be writing about cupcakes and kittens all the time. At least I have the smoulder to keep me grounded).

And finally, because I miss having Ally around (I’m sure you do too), I will share with you the video that she posted on her facebook wall:

Yes, she shares these videos with everyone in her life, all of the time. Her love of cheesy music isn’t just some persona she puts on for the blog: it is real and it is frightening. Sharing this video with you may be a dark moment in FPQT history – one where I clearly need more sleep and more time to find awesome videos.

Ally: Hold on! I’m alive! Barely. But I am alive. Thanks to L-A for holding down the snark while I was off being sick (again) and swamped with real life work. I did have a chance to discover a new favourite this week.

Blue! Since I’ve had to drastically change my colour scheme with the new hair, I’ve been introducing more blue and ditching the pink. My friend Candice lent me this awesome dress for a work function last night.

Yes, Neighbourhood Bestie Melissa took the photo, and lent me a lovely blazer to go with (helpful in covering up the tart factor). Nine West shoes to boot.

I’m working my “environment” in this shot.

Great video, L-A. Happy Friday peeps.

11 Responses to Favourite Friday: the September 17th edition – ANTM, Carey Mulligan, Ally’s music

1. Anthony says:

B4-4! It’s classic Canadian pop with a lustful play on words. Excellent choice. I was a little excited, I thought the new fav thing was blue ceramic tiles but still…hot dress.

Ohhh boy, okay. You KNEW this was going to get me typing, right?

EAT AN AVOCADO? Nice one, Tyra. You really showed your depth of understanding of anorexia right there. JESUS. That’s like telling someone with clinical depression to Cheer Up and Look At The Bright Side. It’s like telling someone with a cold to stop sneezing. AUGH. I hope so hard (not that it would be ok) that it was for dramatic effect and they actually got this girl some real help off-camera.

Ally, you look spectacular. I’m loving the red hair more each time I see it.

3. Gina says:

I adore Carey Mulligan. Her name alone makes me want to say Casey & Finnigan from Mr. Dressup. Her tiny little face and pixie cut, paired with fashionably modest clothing makes her one of my favourite fashion icons. Looove her! I want her hair.

Thanks for the link! :) Something I’m curious about with ANTM is whether Tyra and the other judges had seen the footage of Anamaria talking about her weight loss and calorie restricted diet when they sent her home. Would they have seen that yet? I think it depends on how quickly footage is viewed by the exec producer and how many days went by between shooting that footage and the judging. The thing with Anamaria is that you have to tread lightly when throwing around the word “eating disorder”. Accusing someone of having an eating disorder when they don’t could seriously hurt that person’s feelings and, if you’re Tyra Banks, possibly result in a law suit. But it would have been nice to see a more frank discussion of what’s healthy and what’s not.

Ali – you looked great in that dress! When I had red hair I loved jewel tones, like that blue or some deep shades of purple.

You do realize that an eating disorder is an illness, not a behaviour or personality flaw, right? You don’t “accuse” someone of having anorexia any more than you might accuse them of having MS. You express concern, maybe. You offer help, maybe. You definitely do not publicly shame or punish them for it, nor should it be the sort of thing that causes hurt feelings. Discussing eating disorders as if they are shameful just perpetuates their stigma.

• Jill says:

I do understand that. But I was super skinny as a kid, and it sucked to always have people asking if I had an eating disorder or telling me to eat more – I ate plenty, but my whole family was skinny. My sister had an even harder time, since she stayed very thin. In an ideal world maybe it wouldn’t be this way, but nobody likes being asked if they have an eating disorder. So on ANTM, I don’t think Tyra was able to have a discussion about eating disorders with Anamaria because the judges didn’t know for sure that she had one.

• Eden says:

That’s fair! But don’t you think kicking her off because she is thin and making the avocado comment IS saying she has an eating disorder without actually articulating it? It’s not very subtle.

• Jill says:

Definitely. It actually made me wonder why they put her through in the first place.

My guess? because Tyra wanted to pretend to deal with a social issue.

I never make comments about the weight of the contestants because they might just be skinny girls. Just because I tend to be on the bigger side, doesnt’ mean that they don’t tend to be on the skinny side.

However, I think they hinted heavily at eating disorder in this episode, but wouldn’t actually address the issue in any constructive way. That was my real problem.