Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Favourite Friday: October 22 Edition – We are Blinged OUT! | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

Ally: This week has tested my patience unlike any other. While there are many benefits to being self-employed, throwing a one-year-old in the mix who is home sick from daycare has been challenging to say the least. Thank eff for my iPhone which provides at least five minutes of amusement. Also, the real land-line phone and the fake remote (we took the batteries out to preserve our sanity).

Anyway! The stress of the week was broken when the doorbell rang on Wednesday. I was wearing a shirt that had the following items on it:

• Milk from sippy cup
  • Snot – because I ran out of Kleenex
  • Poo – long story that includes baby being fixated on touching man bits during change table time and me not being quick enough to hold back hands during epic poo fest in diaper

My hair was in a messy top knot (that’s being kind) and I don’t think I had even washed my face. It was like I was back to having a newborn at home. The FedEx guy must have wanted to stab himself in the eye after he saw me. Oh, that was who was at the door. The FedEx guy. He was delivering THIS;

YES! Swag! L-A and I try to keep on top of our email at fashionablepeople at gmail dot com, but sometimes we get behind. I found an email in there a month ago asking us to try out these namesake necklaces, and in return we would have to write about them on the blog. It was a Friday night, and I had admittedly had a few glasses of Pinot Grigio, so I accepted the offer readily.

I have always wanted a Carrie necklace! Maybe I’m late to the party, but I still think my Ally necklace is AWESOME. I’ve been wearing it since I recieved it. Baby poo shirt and all. We’ll post more pics once L-A and I get together and share our fabulous necklaces in a hot photo shoot. Not like this.

Massive eyeroll. Look, I’m not against being sexy. As women, we all want to look good and have some fun in front of a camera. Can I ask for some originality though? For real, Lea?

You are a complete and utter tool.

Again, nothing against being sexy. As long as it comes with an ounce of creativity. Sitting “suggestively” (trust me, I edited this part, this was the nicest I could be) on a locker room bench has been played out. A lot. Just ask Tiger Woods.

(Editors note: In no way do we actually suggest that Tiger Woods has witnessed ladies in their underpants sitting on locker room benchs. We just feel strongly that he may have. A bunch of times. A day.)

Rant completed.

Next up – why is everyone cutting their hair and making me want to chop mine off? Just when I had decided to grow it long. Nicole, what are you doing to me?

And also ScarJo!

I’ve got to keep the scissors away this weekend. As you may have gathered by the previous comment about answering email after a few too many P.G.’s, Friday nights are “Fun with Wine Time” and I’ve been known to fancy myself a hair dresser after having a few.

Crappy Pop Video of the Week. I think this is fitting for me this week. The work/life balance has been challenging the past few days. BabyG and I took some time to dance to this the other afternoon after I traumatized him with the act of giving him his antibiotics. Nightmare.

L-A: I wrote something earlier, but it appears to have disappeared. And now it’s 2 a.m. and I need to go to bed instead of write.  The Reader’s Digest version of what I had to say: was not surprised these photos were taken by Terry Richardson. It’s so very him. Also, I’m neither shocked nor appalled by the photos. Just bored and disappointed that this was the most creative thing they could think of for selling Glee and GQ.

Yeah, I’m phoning it in, but I have a good excuse: I just saw Sloan play all of Twice Removed at Pop Explosion and it was a cornucopia of awesomeness.  That alone would have been good, but then they went and played songs from Smeared as the encore and my teenage self died of happiness when they played 500 Up.

Good times, my friends. Good times.

17 Responses to Favourite Friday: October 22 Edition – We are Blinged OUT!

1. Kim says:

I think I may be one of the only people sticking up for the Glee “Kids”. While the locker room pics are not tasteful in any way, I have seen a lot worse, aka Britney or Lady Gaga. I don’t think we can blame them as much as Terry Richardson. Also this a shoot for GQ, not a magazine for children. I heard that Diana has gotten a lot of bad publicity from this and has done a pretty good job of sticking up for herself.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care about the whole “But it’s a Kid’s Show!!!” argument. I don’t think Glee is a kid’s show at all. I just find it completely ridiculous that the women on the show would stoop to this level. It’s just so…easy. You know? They knew what they were doing, and are likely loving the attention. Can people just stop working with Terry Richardson?

Dianna wrote a fantastic blog post about that GQ shoot – although if you ask me, Lea Michele looked the worst in every single shot. She just tries way too hard, all the time.

Great post today! I listened to that Maroon 5 song all summer, and I’m also feeling a little jealous of Scarlett’s hair. I used to have short hair all the time and started growing it a few years ago. I don’t think I’m ready to part with it yet, but that photo has me wondering.

Hope your baby feels better, Ally!

It’s the “sexytime” open mouth she makes in every shot. Tyra would totally get on her case for not smizing and for using the same face in every shot, meaning they didn’t have anything on the entire roll that they could work with. You can be sexy without looking like you’re in a smutty magazine. Good Sexy Face. Bad Sexy Face. Good Sexy Face. You see the difference, Lea? Do you see what I did with my eyes? This was her best shot and she’s just not trying. I don’t think she really wants to be a Top Model. (sorry…I digressed a little and let out my inner Tyra).

3. Kim says:

I was disappointed with this Glee shoot too – I totally agree that it’s been done before and rather boring, and in a way I think it’s sort of “beneath” them. I mean they’re really talented and they are famous because they are really talented so why do they need to dress like whores to sell magazines? I’m all for being sexy too, but there’s sexy and there’s trashy. This is trashy. I’m also all for fun and campy photo shoots but this is, as I said, just boring. And I know this is a tired argument but why oh why is it always the women that have to be scantilly clad? Corey Monteith is wearing a frigin long sleeved shirt! I realize this is a men’s magazine, but you don’t actually see scantilly clad men on the cover of women’s magazines, am I right? It’s usually other women in fact! THe Glee gals are better than this.
    End rant.

EXACTLY, Kim.

If there had been just an ounce of camp to this, or if Corey Monteith had been undressed instead of the girls, then I’d be all over the sexy photo shoot. This is just cliché. (Also, I know it’s a men’s magazine, but I’m willing to go out on a limb that it has readers who’d rather see Monteith’s panties instead of Lea Michele’s). (ack! sorry Ally! I used the P-word!)

4. Lea aggravates me at the best of times. I do love the necklaces though. :)

I didn’t mind her as Rachel for the first half of season one, but she’s become increasingly annoying since then. The bangs and the excessive solos on Glee are killing me…and not in a good way.

I have an exciting alternative to hair cutting! I have been feeling The Urge as well.

So I’ve been putting my hair in a half french twist, leaving the ends all floppy, and it ends up looking kind of like an adorable bouffant bob. See?

6. Amanda says:

Are we sure that Terry Richardson and Dov Charney aren’t the same person? Because those look like a bunch of American Apparel ads – especially the one with Lea on the bench, making the blow-up doll face.

Seriously, has anyone seen Terry and Dov in a room at the same time?

You raise an excellent point! They both have a tendency to take skeevy pictures of young women AND they both have skeevy facial hair. This is a conspiracy theory I could get behind.

7. Lady Bee says:

I’m late to the party, but just had to say that “500 Up” magically made me forget about that awful, awful Glee photo spread.

Andrew….*sigh* Can I go back to 1991, please?

huge sighs for Andrew. I’ve been crushing on him since I first saw that video on MuchMusic a million years ago. Seeing them play 500 Up live? Dream come true for my teenage self. Possibly better than the time when Pearl Jam played stuff from the Singles soundtrack at their Halifax show.

8. i concur with ladybee and how a little ol’ school Sloan made the ickness go poof.

9. […] But you’re probably all, “L-A, how is this even remotely perfect? There are no stripes!” Well, it’s rare, but I will occasionally do wear solids. Not often, but it happens (not today. But I swear it happens. There are at least two solids in my closet). And if it’s a personalized boat neck sweater, well, it’s a prime candidate for my small collection of non-striped clothing. It could only be improved if they made it L-A instead of just L (and maybe added stripes). That’s because I kind of love personalized stuff. Remember these necklaces? […]