Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Bangs: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow. HA! So Punny. | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

Ally: Every winter this happens. I lose interest in dressing myself. No, I don’t go outside naked (actually, based on the last week with a sick toddler I have barely gone outside at all), I just look like shit on a stick 24/7. I completely and utterly hate winter clothing.

Coming off the summer, I’m motivated. I even pull out the colourful tights and sweater dresses. Pairing the outfit with a cute belt. I rock the wool mini-skirts with cozy sweaters and knee high boots…but I literally HATE MYSELF throughout the entire process.

In addition to not giving a flying eff about my clothing during the cold months (and yes, I realize the irony as I co-write a fashion blog), I also do not give a flying eff about my hair. Proof? I have not had a hair cut since August.

August.

August was five months ago.

This is going to change. I need to snap out of this funk since I’m not moving to LA or Miami in the near future. So! Hair will be cut over the next couple of weeks and I need to decide whether to return to the bangs or to continue looking like an emo chick while growing them out.

L-A sent me a link to WhoWhatWear last week where there was an article extoiling the benefits of the blunt bang. I think I might be sold:

Bangs are especially good for my face as I’ve developed a deep-set wrinkle in-between my eyes that was caused by the “what the fuck?” look that I tend to dole out on a daily basis. My mother told me that my face would stay like that, I did not believe her. And bangs are just so fun, no?

We’ll have Golden Globes feedback later this week. Until then, can you help me out? Bangs or no bangs? Yes, it’s all about me today.

L-A: I am with you 100% on winter and getting dressed. Despite my love of January and all of it’s birthdays, it’s the month when I stop trying in the mornings.  This will last until sometime around Easter. This could be because my symptoms of SAD include “loss of interest in making sartorial choices for at least three months”. It is cold and it is dark and I’m wondering why I haven’t defected to California yet and I’m cursing the fact that most of my shoes are completely inappropriate for the weather. Damn I hate winter.

Anyway, let’s not talk about winter or my bad moods and their effect on my wardrobe. Let’s get back on topic: Ally.

I vote bangs. But I always vote bangs. Probably because I have the kind of forehead that means bangs are in season every season for me. I think this makes me biased in favour of the fringe. So here are some bangs for Ally to think about as she considers what her next hair cut will look like. She may or may not send me emails full of swears:

Ally's favouritest actress of all!

I know you all watch Parks & Recreation, so I don't need to tell you about why Aubrey and her bangs are awesome.

When you're really bored at an awards ceremony, you can hide behind bangs!

I probably shouldn’t have broken out the Lea Michele. Ally may never go for bangs now.  That actually may be the only case where I vote no on bangs. They do nothing for her or for her character.  As for Sandra and Aubrey, I like their bangs. Aubrey’s more than Sandra’s, but whatever. Bangs! I vote Bangs!

And off the topic of Ally, but still on the topic of bangs, can I ask about the flat iron that WhoWhatWear mentions – are those darn things really worth that much? I’m seriously asking. Mine just died and while I’m feeling lost without my flat iron, my broke ass student self is questioning just how much a girl needs to spend on a flat iron. That last one was a gift and I have no idea how much it cost. So, dear internet, please tell me how much I should spend on one of these things. And maybe some things to look for when shopping for a flat iron? Thanks.

12 Responses to Bangs: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow. HA! So Punny.

Oh man, I know from the bangs/forehead wrinkle decision. Today I have my bangs swept to the side and it is like OH HELLO THERE WRINKLETIMES.

On the other hand I was discussing botox with some friends the other day and a dear sweet man said that the between-the-eyebrows wrinkle makes me look fierce. FIERCE!

ps I don’t have to mention that I am always pro-bang, right? Right.

L-A, I have a teeny-tiny cheapo flatiron that I use just for my bangs, that I got at Zellers for $15, and it is just fine.

3. Margaret says:

Cough up the big bucks and buy a decent flat iron. It’ll run you $80-$100. Yes, it’s worth it. The good ones heat up quickly, evenly, and precisely. They don’t “stick” to your hair and leave little flat-iron wedges. Watch Hair Dressers’ Market for sales.

4. Kristine says:

No Bangs! But only because with my forehead I know I should have them but am much too lazy to maintain them. I also have not cut my hair since August. And I don’t even have a child as an excuse.

5. I am anti-bang, but only because I hate hate HATE having hair in my face. The last time I had bangs was when it was fashionable to tease and spray them so that they hovered in a whispy cloud several inches above one’s head.

6. Lady Bee says:

Ally – say yes to bangs!

L-A – say no to Conair. I found a decent quality flat-iron for under $30 at Winners a year ago. Heats up quickly and still works well. I would have loved to splurge on a CHI but, ya know, kids needs shoes. Maybe next time.

7. BANGS! love them. i rock them as well. and you can do some fun stuff colour wise as well. current they are jey black underneath and bright vibrant red ontop. super cute.

8. Allison says:

I’m in Halifax, and I have bangs, and I love them. But like I said, I’m in Halifax, so get them long enough that you can clip them out of your eyes when you run outside. Literally, I leave the house, throw in a bobby pin, and then catch the bus, take out the bobby pin.

Windy city!

9. Jen says:

I am anti-bangs because (and it might just be my hair) because *any* perspiration on the forehead (associated with walking to work, the spicy thai lunch or the slight increase in blood pressure when the fabulous ‘last pair’ shoes are in *my* size) and I’ve got a frizzy mess on my hands, often mid day, without the aid of a straightening iron or helpful hair product. Also – think carefully about the kind of commitment it takes to grow them out again. Jesus, god. Is this my SECOND comment about sweat?

10. Allene! says:

I am pro-bangs! Go for it!

Also, re: flat iron. I used to have this really crappy Revlon Shiny Styles straightener, and it a) pulled my hair out and b) took FOREVER. I recently invested about $80 in a Torlen ceramic one that my stylist recommended (and sold to me) and OMG what a difference!! Totally worth it. Another suggestion: when you’re using a proper one, they are HOT. I found my hair was starting to feel really dry, which I’ve never experienced before, so I bought some heat protecting spray and it seems to be doing the trick.

11. SarahMouse says:

I’m a lover of big bangs… mine have to be heavy and long or else my cow-lick (is that how you spell that?) lol I guess the same effect could be created if I my forehead was licked by a cow…yuck. Anyways my point here is that bangs come in and out of fashion all the time but if you see a chick wearing some really strong cool bangs – you never say: ‘OMG that’s so last year’. One should never be afraid of wearing bangs but wear them well and don’t hide behind them – that’s childish.
    Over n’ out

12. Elisabeth says:

Girl, I have the same WTF wrinkle. My only problem with bangs is that my hair grows really fast so I have to get them trimmed constantly and it becomes a huge pain.