Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Where do you kids get your leather jackets? | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

L-A: So, it was probably a couple of months ago when I was taking the bus home and saw this girl hanging around outside of the Bloomfield Centre. She was looking kind of tough and disaffected, but what really got me was her jacket. It was one of those really perfect leather jackets.

she rocked it like kids with a costume department at their disposal

And it got me wondering: where the hell did she get it? How did she get it to looks so worn in and awesome? And more importantly, where can I get one? Because as far as I’m concerned, those perfect leather jackets are like unicorns: mythical, yet totally awesome creatures.

I see the young starlets wearing the leather jackets and I get that. They’re probably sent bitchin’ leather jackets all the time for free and then hire someone to wear it until it looks awesome.

She kind of blew her early Harry Potter awkward years out of the water.

I can't tell if she's acting or if she really will kill you for looking at her.

she rocked the leather even before she went all "Courtney Love is my Hero" on us

So starlets, I get. But where are the average kids on the street getting them? Because when I think of leather jacket stores, I get a little scared. I expect bad leather. Unflattering leather. Or really unfortunate leather like this:

I don't even care if it is Dolce and Gabbana.

I....don't even...just....no.

Although, I will admit, I just went and checked out the Danier website and I’m not horrified by what I saw. If they do have the leather that scares me, I didn’t really see it. I was even intrigued by this one (minus the ill advised fedora):

But even seeing those jackets for sale, I’m left with some questions:

Would it look all stiff and new if I purchased it?

Do I need to hire someone to wear my leather jacket in?

Would it be flattering or worst purchase ever?

And finally: it’s a $500 jacket…where do people get them? I’m guessing that possibly homeless kiddo hanging around outside with her dogs and backpack didn’t pay that much for hers. Is there a magic vintage clothing store where you find such things? Or do you have to hunt for years until you find one? Because I suck at hunting for vintage, so I’m going to have to pony up the cost of a new jacket and whatever it costs to hire someone to make it look good. Although, I’m not sure I can commit that kind of coin to a look that probably won’t even work for me.

25 Responses to Where do you kids get your leather jackets?

1. Conny M says:

Try the Salvation Army on Green st…always treasures in there!

I haven’t been there in years. Mostly because I kind of suck at digging in thrift stores. That’s something I need to get better at.

2. Jessica says:

You can get a decently nice jacket at le chateau that’s not real leather, but is a great fake for around 100 dollars. And since its not real, it doesn’t need to be broken in.

I like the idea of not having to break the jacket in. Part of what I don’t like about leather is walking around looking like I’m wearing a brand new leather jacket.

3. Kim Roach says:

I found two awesome ones at Ross in the US when I was down there. Okay they are not real but they are cool and only cost $20. Seriously Ross is a magical place.

You can’t go wrong with getting a jacket you love for $20. Because then whenever anyone asks about it, you can tell them all about the great deal you got.

I got my leather jacket for half price at Danier and I LOVE it. It doesn’t feel stiff to me, and I get lots of compliments every time I wear it – always a bonus! The best part is that it cost around $160, and fake ones go for around $100=$120. I know mine will last, so it’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made.

I think I searched for a leather jacket for about a year before I bought it. I was worried about price and tried a bunch of the thrift stores around the downtown area. I could never find the right combination of stylish and my size.

I’ll check the Danier website and see if I can find a photo.

I think I could only do a sale jacket if I was going to spend any money on it at all. As I’m not opposed to actually owning leather (my shoe collection and favourite purse are evidence of this), I think getting the real thing on sale would make more sense than fake for almost as much.

Then again, I don’t know. I’m not convinced I’m a leather sort of girl.

• Jill says:

I think you are! I find that mine goes with almost everything – I’ll wear it with jeans, a funky dress, a lot of the outfits I wear to work, etc. I was intimidated by it at first, but now I think it’s the most practical thing I own.

5. Danielle says:

I have the same one as Jill posted in brown – you might have seen it LA because I got it in 2007. It’s awesome and I wholeheartedly agree that it is and was the best purchase I ever made. Plus, I’ve had a pile of compliments on it. :)

I think I remember that one – it was really nice. I’ve never given much thought to owning a leather jacket until recently. I need to get into the Secret or something…tell the universe to send me the perfect jacket.

6. Amy says:

Mine’s fake and I found it at Dynamite. I think it was $60ish. I’ve been wearing it for a few years now and still love it. I looked around a lot before buying it.

I’ve never really looked for one. I’ve always been too scared of the idea of owning a leather jacket, that it’s just not me. (Clearly I’m watching too much Vampire Diaries…all they do is wear leather jackets).

7. AntonWilde says:

I bought my “leather” jacket OTR at H&M 2 years ago. It’s definitely losing its shape so I’m hoping to score another one. There’s a good chance it was cobbled together from an old couch in their corporate offices but I still love it.

Apparently, you are pretty much on the money on where the leather comes from. When I went to the store opening in Halifax, they told me it’s recycled leather. Good for the environment, I guess.

My mom bought me my leather jacket (second-hand, even) when I was in grade nine. I still wear it constantly. I win!

9. Lynore says:

I really think finding the perfect leather jacket is something that happens by accident or by some celestial alignment. I was in TO to visit my sis in the Fall of ’07 and hadn’t planned on it being as cold as it was there. We went to Yorkdale Shopping Centre so I could get a sweater or something warmer to wear and lo and behold in the window at Mango was the perfect black leather bomber (similar to the first pic). And it was on sale! I think I spent about $250.00 on it and it’s real leather. Yay! A total fluke but meant to be (at least that was my justification when I opened my Mastercard statement later that month ). It is very well worn in now and I get compliments every time I wear it. I intend to wear this jacket until threadbare…which, consequently, may be an improvement.

I think it’s the accidentalness of the perfect leather that confounds me. I just need to put it on my radar and hope that one of these days, the jacket will find me.

10. Claire says:

I was totally torn on this: leather seemed better quality, and my mother always said you get what you pay for; but I’m a vegetarian, and can you imagine the mocking that would ensue? (Although you could argue leather is using another part of the animal, etc. etc. You see how this could go on for a while.) I got a faux at Le Chateau for maybe 100$ last year, dark brown, and I /do/ wear it with everything. It adds a certain bad-ass (admittedly, bought-at-the-mall bad ass) element to my fairly conservative & girly wardrobe.

I could get behind bought-at-the-mall bad assness in my wardrobe if I were to find the right jacket. Because really, no matter what the jacket, I will never really be bad ass.