Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | Pretend Boyfriends: Battle of the Ryans | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

Ally: If a movie were to best describe my friendship with L-A it would be You’ve Got Mail. The rom-com where the two go back-and-forth with witty and endearing emails (except we like each other in real life as well). As you saw last week when L-A tried to cheer me up after the disasterous “We’re on a Boat” photos with Blake and Leo, we discuss serious issues through this electronic medium.

Serious issues such as who would be a better pretend boyfriend to replace Leo? Because, if nothing else, we need to go on a pretend break after this fiasco.

Wish to have an update on the Leo situation?

On vacation. Together. In Italy.

So, seriously? Would it be Ryan Reynolds or Ryan Gosling?

They both get points for being Canadian, so that’s a draw. RR is from British Columbia and RG is from Ontario. I’m fine with both.

As L-A points out, they are both in  movies about being a hot dude who meets a schlumpy dude.

Ryan Reynolds:

Ryan Gosling:

So let’s debate: who is the hotter Canadian Ryan?

Ally – CAMP RYAN REYNOLDS:

I need to start out by saying that I am not anti-Gosling. In fact, when the trailer for Crazy Stupid Love came out I watched it an obcene number of times. As in over ten. What? I was sick and I needed a pick me up. That scene? “Have you been you drinking? (Head tilt) I’ll drive.” Kills  me. I will go so far to say that if we were judging the Ryan’s by these trailers alone, Gosling would be the clear winner. For eff’s sake he does look photoshopped. And as this is a fashion blog, he is obviously the better dressed male.

To take it a bit further, I would even say that up until a few weeks ago this post might not exist. L-A and I would both fully endorse Gosling over Reynolds. What happened you ask?

Are you serious, Ryan Gosling? For real?

It’s like a scene from the douchiest hipster movie ever, except it’s not. It’s from what we call, “Real Life”. He is actually trotting about New York City Proper while strumming on..whatever that is. And that’s not the worst. He has a sweater carelessly tossed over his shoulder. Done. Over it. Moving on. What put the nail in the coffin for me with Gosling was also his appearance in Blue Valentine.

I expected this:

What I got was this:

Hideous glasses and a shirt with an eagle on it.

Look, it was a brilliant movie. I would highly recommend it. It just didn’t bring the hot.

Speaking of hot:

One of the most adorable rom coms ever, and please my friends, I know rom coms. I can’t really admit to watching many other Ryan Reynold films.

I can admit to googling “Ryan Reynolds motorcycle”:

I mean…really, what can you say about that?

Ryan Reynolds is also completely adorable:

It should also be noted that he can wear the hell out of a vest.

Where Ryan Gosling wears shirts that…well, frankly he wears shirts I would wear. Maybe this is a good thing. Like, you could share tank tops and such, but it’s sort of a swoon-killer.

I just miss the old Ryan Gosling. The one who loved Rachel McAdams and the one who was loved by Rachel McAdams. Remember this?

Shit. Now after watching that I’m torn.

L-A – CAMP RYAN GOSLING: So, I’d like to point out that Ally just made my argument for me. That video! I’ll admit it. I’ve watched it about 50 times. Possibly 50 times in one day.  Depending on how my work day is going, I either pick myself up with that video or calm myself down with Limp Bizkit (don’t judge). I mean, really though. That kiss! Those looks! And he picks her jacket up for her!

But my case doesn’t solely depend on that video. Let’s start with one of my emails to Ally:

I don’t know about Ryan Reynolds…my vote is squarely on Ryan Gosling. I’ll admit it, my crush for him runs deep. Like Breaker High deep. So what if I was watching a YTV show when I was pushing 20? I saw the raw talent and soon to be fucking hotness even then. I would make a fantastic casting agent.

Yes folks. While I remember having a soft spot for Reynolds back when he was the frosted tip half of the two guys in a pizza place, my love for Gosling really does go back to this:

forgive him: this hair was totally acceptable in 1997.

And that crush has gone from adorable to Holy Fuck levels of hot. And yes, I did mean to swear. Let’s just take a look at the photographic evidence:

Admit it, the smile literally makes you weak in the knees

Somehow, when he's involved, PDA isn't annoying.

And yes, I too love the Gosling-McAdams combo best. And while I’m not keen on him with Olivia Wilde, it’s a sight better to be spotted at an aquarium with her than on a boat with Legsy McGee. Just saying.

Need more photos? Well, okay:

Not only does he make bedhead and glasses sexy, but he can wear the hell out of a white t-shirt.

(Ally: Hipster shirt…cough…Hipster…)

Not even remotely hipster. There’s nothing American Apparel about that. He doesn’t look anemic AND he’s got on great trousers and loafers. But let’s move on to the formal wear.

Oh just look at those eyes. Resistance is futile

Oh, and eff-why-eye, he can also wear the hell out of a vest (both casual and formal):

The photographic evidence could go on for days. I’m not kidding. You can google it for yourself. And I recommend that you do.

And finally, he’s totally got a sense of humour about his fame. He can also be adorable with Jimmy Kimmel:

and when reading the Hey Girl memes. He even makes fun of his own outfits. Love. This. Guy. And have you seen him with a penguin??

Seriously. He's petting a penguin!

You know you want his Hey Girl smile for yourself. Because while Ryan Reynolds is hot (and he is. I totally enjoyed him in a Sandra Bullock rom com), Ryan Gosling smoulders and makes your girly bits tingle.  Hell, it’s because of him (and Rachel McAdams) I didn’t vomit in my mouth watching a movie based on a Nicholas Sparks novel. Seriously. Just look at him.

sweet merciful...those eyes.

But we’ll let you have the final decision.

28 Responses to Pretend Boyfriends: Battle of the Ryans

1. Ann says:

Word mcword on the Breaker High thing. I watched it – not first-run, but a few years after its original airing, when it was on every day at midnight on YTV. Why? Because I was totes in love with Gosling’s mid-90s Swingers-lite Sinatra-obsessed teen character. It makes me happy he’s super-famous now, but kind of jealous. Because I loved him BEFORE all that.

And RR I don’t get. How was he old enough do be a doctor character in the Pizza Place show, and then like 10 years later he is still apparently about 30? How does that math work?

I figure his super fame justifies my watching Breaker High. Because instead of being lame, it meant I was on to something instead. I saw the early hints of smoulder and the raw talent.

Also, good call on the RR! Because I suck at math, I didn’t even think about how he’s been about 30 for the past 15 years.

2. Kim says:

Ahhhhh this is WAY to hard!! I love both of them…Gosling has more of a hipster, artsy vibe to him while Reynolds is more goofy and guy-next-door so….I dunno, I’m not going to vote because I just can’t pick one lol

It is a hard one. They’re both really easy on the eyes and neither has any major Blake Lively-esque deficiencies. You could probably flip a coin on this one.

I did have to update my Gosling argument: he made a movie based on a Nicholas Sparks novel watchable. I haven’t been able to watch any of those movies post-Notebook. Too sticky sweet for me.

I’d like to point out that Ryan Gosling took Blake to “Disneyworld”. Yes. True story. Ryan Reynolds denied her entrance. Point goes to Reynolds.

3. Alison says:

Reynolds, hands down. you spray him with a hose and it turns to steam. instantly.

I girl can dream; he may be 14 years my senior, but that’s not TOO bad, right? Right?

4. Lauren says:

I have never been so distracted from my work, and giddy like a school girl. thanks for the major blip in my productivity today ladies!

I have a renewed appreciation for R.Gosling, bc holy hell he’s hot and is musical which is always a dead ringer for me! He’s pulling off that sexy vibe in Crazy, Stupid, Love so well too.

But I’ve got to be loyal to RR. I’ve been trying to get friends in Van to stalk him for years now. Plus he’s got the sexy outdoorsman vibe (also a dead ringer), and avoids the weird hipster tee’s and ankle baring pants.

And now to watch the kiss video another 10 times before getting back to work. May the gods continue to bless us with beautiful Canadian men.

What you don’t realize is that our goal, every day, is to distract others from their work. Your unproductivity is our gain.

However, I still think Gosling is the hotter Ryan. I like his well fitted trousers. He’s definitely the better dressed of the two.

5. anonymous says:

Ryan Reynolds is the man. He is fantastic and single that alone is plus!!

6. Amy says:

Reynolds all the way. I have nothing against the baby goose, but RR seems, I dunno, more capable. Like if you were in a dangerous situation he could get you out of it. Baby Goose Ryan’s tight hipster pants and precariously perched sweater would prevent him from running, fighting, protecting, or doing anything other than strum on his thing. He’d just sit there and strum and make brooding eyes.

YES! Thank you! I mean, fine, I’m ok with Gosling singing to me but if he had to protect my honour…what? He’d like…bang his banjo over someone’s head? No. That’s not cool. Reynolds would gather me up and throw me on the back of his bike. Damn, now that’s what I’m talking about.

I don’t know. I bet Gosling is one of those wiry sort of guys who can actually kick your ass, but you don’t see it coming. He’s not all showing it off and dressing like a superhero, but he’d take down some dude talking smack about you in a heartbeat. I mean, just look at him without his shirt on?! He’s not ACTUALLY photoshopped.

Meanwhile, I really only need someone to strum and making brooding eyes at me. It’s not like I’ve ever run into a real life situation where I need someone large and beefy to save me. Unless he’s saving me from telemarketers.

Ryan Reynolds would save you from telemarketers. Ryan Gosling would be too nice and actually try to talk to them and take their stupid survey. This is one of our most awesomest posts.

7. anonymous says:

Ryan Reynolds makes my heart sing!!

8. jo says:

Oh, this is one brilliant post! But screw the Ryans (no pun intended), Jason Bateman is my pretend boyfriend. Seriously. Since The Hogan Family (she says showing her age)… But out of the Ryans, Ally wins: Reynolds, hands down. Gosling’s charm is very Notebook/Rachel McAdams specific. This was lots of fun!

Et tu Jo? Et tu? Seriously though, Ryan Gosling’s charm goes way beyond the notebook. He’s super stylish and I think this new movie with Steve Carrell will give us a new side to his charm.

(We can talk about Jason Bateman on another day…maybe a guest post day?)

• jo says:

DO YOU LOVE HIM, TOO???!!! (sorry to disappoint you in the battle of the Ryans, though… maybe I just need more exposure to Gosling? Will rent movies and Google, STAT)

I could be convinced about Jason Bateman…I need to see him in a movie where he isn’t a jerk (Extract and the Switch didn’t help matters).

I think you just need two cocktails and watch the latest Gosling fare. Gosling + Emma Stone? Gosling + Carey Mulligan? Yes to both.

9. […] my favourite thing this week was going to be celebrating our mutual love of Pretend Boyfriend Ryan Gosling. But I lost. To dull the heartbreak, I watched these videos on […]

10. […] despite her original leanings towards the Other Ryan, Jo has seen the light and chosen this […]

11. Janet Allen says:

I’m a Reynolds girl even though Intern Krista burst my bubble and says he has chicken legs (from when she saw him in person at a taping of SNL).