Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | TOMS: awesome, or the new Croc? | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

L-A: I’ve mentioned before how I’ve almost fell victim to the siren song of the TOMS.

Everyone I know seems to have a pair. They sing their praises. So comfortable! The only shoe they need for summer!

And quite frankly, I’m starting to believe it.

Except for one thing.

source

They’re kind of a funny looking shoe. And I think we can all agree on that.

That isn’t to say they aren’t comfy or magnificent. They’re just funny looking. And I’m scared to buy a shoe that will end up being a shoe I lend to Anthony when he needs to dress up as Whoopie Goldberg for Halloween. Because guess what you guys? That is what happened to my Crocs. Everyone I knew, even the most stylish (who I won’t name here, but y’all know who you are), owned Crocs. They told me they were the Most. Comfortable. Shoe. Ever. So when my mom had a spare pair, I gave in. And I felt like a fucking tool. I wore them as a rainboot substitute for one summer (I didn’t own boots and I didn’t want to ruin my non-molded plastic shoes) and then they existed only to clutter my closet after that.

I think it’s a case of once bitten, twice shy. If I jump on the funny looking, but immensely comfy shoe bandwagon, will I regret it instantly?

Even if I do give in (and let’s be honest, it’s likely to happen…if I hadn’t just dropped $200 at Biscuit and Pretty Things this past weekend, it’d be Really Likely), I’ll still remain highly skeptical of the following:

source

What? Glitter? Really?

Y’all know I love a good glitter shoe, but this is too much for me. Maybe I need to see it in action, but on the shelf, a gold glitter TOMS shoe does nothing but make me hate this shoe company.

Apparently the glitter TOMS are a part of the wedding collection. Yes. That’s right. Wedding.

Brides of the world: why? Why would you change into a plain, canvas shoe? Is it the new flip flop? Why not just buy a shoe you can wear? That’s what I did. My shoes were cute AND I wore them all night. Or maybe a pretty flat? You’re a bride! You’re looking super pretty! So why not wear a pretty shoe? (If you wore flip flops or TOMS at your wedding, I sort of apologize. I’m sure you still looked pretty. Friends of mine have done it and still looked like pretty princesses. I just prefer wearing a pretty shoe with my pretty dress on the one day that EVERYONE has to call you pretty).

The one pair of TOMS I don’t question are the wedges.

They are straight up adorable and if you own a pair, I’m probably jealous. Every time I’ve tried to buy a pair, they weren’t in my size. (Actually, that’s happened with even the flat, regular TOMS. Perhaps the universe is trying to tell me something?)

Anyway, let’s have a poll. Maybe it’ll help influence my decision (after I get paid. I need to take a brief spending break).

15 Responses to TOMS: awesome, or the new Croc?

1. nataliejoan says:

You need a third option on your poll. I love my Toms wedges. I hate the flats and don’t understand why anyone would wear them.

2. Ellie says:

Your sage wisdom fills me with joy L-A. Totes agree that while likely very comfy, Toms just look weird to me! And with skirts and shorts, I find my uber short legs look longer in a pair of flip flops/sandals so I’m loath to cut myself off at… what’s the middle of your foot called… my foot hump? Unless you’re a stick insect, I’d always pick sandals in summer.

And on crocs: any shoe that Boyfriend’s dad (who’s 6’4 and wears jean on jean on jean) swears by can’t be a good option for me. Just sayin’.

3. KTO says:

I own a pair of gold glitter TOMS and they are my absolute favorite shoes.

Have you tried a pair on? They’re really not that bad, comparable to a boat shoe or a loafer, almost? I agree that they’re not the most beautiful shoe in the world, but I’m not wearing them in lieu of heels. They’re a great sneaker substitute for running all over this city, which is mostly a steady incline of hills. Plus they’re made of real materials, not plastic that will never break down, like Crocs. Also, they don’t double the size of your feet when you put them on, again like Crocs.

Also, TOMS does One-For-One, so with every pair purchased a pair is given to a child without shoes or with shoes in a sad state, to help prevent the spread of disease and infection. (http://www.tomsshoes.ca/our-movement) If buying a pair of shoes can do more than just make me happy (and increase my accumulating shoe collection), I’m all for it!

Check out these shoes that an 8-year-old boy in Peru traded in for his TOMS: http://twitpic.com/5we6b9

It might be the Hali-Hipster in my heart, but I love them.

I’ll admit – I’ve never tried them on. But that’s only because on the times I’ve tried, they were out of my size. Had the store in St. John’s had a plain pair in my size (they only had glitter or a lace up), they’d probably be on my feet now.

They do have a lot going for them versus the Croc (fabric being tops) – it’s more a case of me wondering if I jump on a trendy bandwagon, will I find myself the owner of ugly shoes we all make fun of in two years. (not that I don’t already own shoes someone thinks are ugly, but that’s okay).

I figure that other than the “wedding collection”, no one is wearing them as a heel substitute. They do kind of look to be on par with the loafer or boat shoe and I’m kind of a big loafer fan.

As for their one for one policy on shoes for kids, I have to say, they are doing a seriously good thing. No complaints on that front. In a way, I like that they’ve become so trendy and are almost always sold out – because if Halifax is any measure, there are a lot of kids out there getting shoes.

4. Lauren says:

Crocs are obviously the worst shoe ever. Shoes should never ever shrink in direct sunshine, and trust me that can happen. Of course, I still wear mine as my summer slipper at my cottage because sometimes you need traction on wood floors, not to worry about getting sand in slippers, and something comfy to stand at the counter and cut strawberries or make margaritas for your afternoons tanning on the deck alone blasting BSB.

TOMS, however, I’m starting to be drawn in. Mostly because I’m looking for a new summer flat, and all the boat shoes i’ve tried make my feet look like boats, and are seriously not comfortable. I think the glitter looks silly, they’re an uber casual shoe people. except for those wedges, which are the cutest of all. Maybe you’d like TOMS better if they had more peep toes?

I would just like to say that I still know a LOT of people who own and wear crocs. And every one of them is under the age of six.

You can get away with that shit when you’re under the age of six. In fact, you can get away with that and then some if you’re under six. And still be told you look adorable.

6. Shan says:

LA….. Shannon here! I feel as though the Toms nautical stripe wedges were possibly made for you! Other than that, seriously, they are SO lame and fug. If you’re looking for comfy flat shoes, go for the Sperry topsiders. They are seriously adorable and preppy, and come in lots of fab colours/styles/materials.. ie these:

Enjoy!

You are spot on about the striped wedges. I tried to buy them last summer, but both Biscuit and KAS were out of the stripes/my size. Sadness.

But for the flats? I think I’m with you on the Sperry topsiders (my loafers are Sperry) – they’re just more my speed. I love the preppiness of them.

p.s. I have your prize from the party still! I keep it at work – we should do coffee. Or drinks. or dessert.

7. Krissy says:

I suppose these haven’t made it over to Australia yet as this is the first I’m hearing of them. Have I been gone that long? Anytheway, I vote ew. They’re not quite as horrid as crocs, but nothing to write home about either. But I foresee these going terribly, terribly wrong somewhere down the line. I’m staying faaaar away.

(Man, I haven’t commented in forever. So… hi! I’m still reading! :D)

8. […] As you may well know, I’ve been immune to the charm of the TOMS. I still don’t quite get the charms of your average TOM (is that the singular of […]