Ally: Can people please stop talking about Will and Jada? Who cares about Will and Jada? I care more about Selena and Justin and that’s saying something. You know gossip is slow when.

Anyway. Here’s what I’m plugging today.

Oh that’s right. It’s a party in the suburbs. Not unlike this:

It is my belief that when L-A and I are 88 years old, sitting next to each other and drinking boxed wine at the nursing home, she will turn to me and quietly say, “You know, you were right about that Miley Cyrus song. Shit was a motherfucking classic.” Trust me. It will happen. It might be the dementia, but it will happen.

I’m not sure what is going to go down at this fashion show, but anything that benefits my beloved Dress for Success Halifax (and is happening in the ‘burbs!) is gold to me.

In addition to this week’s Favourite Event. I obviously have a new Favourite Crappy Video. What? You thought Miley was it? No.

Leo, seriously. Come back to me. This is getting to be too much.

Lastly, I really, really want these. They would become my Favourite shoes:

They are the wingtip inspired shoe from Miz Mooz. Adore.

L-A: Oh honestly Ally, what in the name of all things fancy was that last video? Any borderline crush that I may have harboured for Eminem has been 100% crushed. Nothing like Bruno Mars to cockblock a potential lady boner. Eff that noise. Pass the gin and the Miley Cyrus, please. (yeah, this is how I see our end of days in the Home for Aging Bloggers. This and a box of wine).

Okay, my favourites this week:

1. Wornettes help fill the Clueless void on the Interwebs.

This video is a straight up cornucopia of awesomeness:

Honestly, you have no idea how often I search the interwebs for a good Clueless clip. And what do I get? Maybe the trailer. And in poor quality. I mean, I know the movie came out in 1995 and we were using VHS and running a 386 PC on dial up like we were computing in the effing future, but come on! Someone must have figured this jazz out by now. You know what. I’m going to fix this.

2. The Ampersand won!

That’s right. I polled you guys and I liked the results, so I’m getting that funny symbol for “and” tattooed on me for the Big Day Downtown. And like most things in my life, I’m stuck trying to choose a font. Serif? Sans Serif? I don’t know! And what if I choose the wrong font? You guys, this is hard!

I’m sort of leaning towards Gotham and Archer. And sometimes I dig on Helvetica (I’ve seen the doc three times). And Futura is one of my favourite parts of Wes Anderson movies. But seriously, I’m at a loss. Because while I dig Archer, it’s the font used for Martha Stewart magazines, and I don’t want someone saying, “hey! isn’t that the Martha Stewart font?” (because that totally happens). But then, I like Martha Stewart. Her magazines are delightful.

[insert sound of frustrated/confused L-A]

And then, because if the anxiety over what font to choose wasn’t enough: I have no idea how you go about getting a tattoo. Do I just call up and ask for one? How long does it take? So. Many. Questions. Any of you tattoed and can tell me how this works?

Alternatively, if you happen to have a favourite ampersand, send it my way. Who knows? Maybe it’ll turn out to be The One.

3. This song has been on repeat for the past two weeks and I seriously can’t get enough.

I mean, really. It’s just the cat’s pajamas. I want to go driving to this song (if I owned a car). Or hang out with lemonade and saddle shoes and giant headphones.  I want to put it in the soundtrack of a movie.  I’ll probably tire of it eventually, but right now, I want to listen to it again.

4. Those wing tips Ally wants.

Obvs. I need a pair of those after I get me some saddle shoes.

Tagged with:

16 Responses to Favourite Fridays – August 26th Edition

1. Ann says:

Can’t help with the font selection, as they all look cute, but I can help with the tattoo thing! I got tatted twice in Halifax and both times I just showed up and got it done. These were sketchbag-ish places, however. I know that fancier places take appointments, though.

If there’s still that place on Quinpool, she’s supposed to be good. And I think takes appointments. Watch episodes of LA Ink to see how it’s done! Where are you having it put on?

• la says:

I’m going for a little one on my left wrist. Can’t do Quinpool though – the goal is to try something new within the Downtown Business Commission area. And as I’ve never had a tattoo (judging by my panic attack, this is probably obvious), it’s probably the one thing I have never done in Downtown Halifax.

2. Intern Krista says:

I got a similarly uncomplicated tattoo and it took, like, 10 minutes. Definitely call ahead.

Archer all the way.

3. Kat says:

I have word tattoos on both my wrists, first one only took about 15 minutes for a whole word, the second longer (but the place I got that done wasn’t as nice). When I was shopping around for my second tattoo I stopped at Newcombe’s (Newcomb’s?) Ink just off Barrington – they were super nice, really clean/stylish place. You could check them out.

• la says:

This is good to know. I had no idea how long a tattoo even takes to get done. (Newcombe’s is on the list of places I’m looking to go). The anxiety is getting a bit better.

4. ellie says:

Ok, off the beaten track, but if this font had an ampersand, I’d probably tattoo it on you in your sleep. If that wasn’t totally weird and creepy sounding:

Looooooove.

• la says:

Nice one! I’m still sort of leaning towards the Archer medium or bold. I just need to find a clear version of it (because I can’t justify buying a version of it for the tattoo…although I probably will buy it for myself someday).

5. ellie says:

Oh and Boyfriend’s brother who has the most impressive chest plate/arm thing/crazy ass tattoo I’ve ever seen swears by Andy at Utility.

6. Kim says:

Cool tattoo idea! I think it will be really cute no matter the font. I have four tattoos and don’t worry about getting one – you just make an appointment and a small one (I’m assuming you are getting it small) like this should only take maybe 30 minutes, but depends on the person I guess. Only thing I would recommend is that you do your RESEARCH before picking someone – ask around, google reviews, etc. Make sure you are going to someone with a good reputation. I realize this is kind of common sense, but it should still be noted. I didn’t do this for all of mine and (while I didn’t have any major issues) this was kind of stupid of me. Can’t wait to see!

• la says:

I’ve had a couple of recommendations now for Sin on Skin (from trusted sources) and it fits within the downtown. So fingers crossed this works out!

7. jo says:

I LOVE CLUELESS. Note that I did not say “loved”. I love, as in currently do, always have and always will. LOVE.

As for the tat, I don’t know the “where”, but I think I did see a new place downtown somewhere. Or at least an old place with a new sign. Something off Barrington. And I vote for a “typewriter” font for your ampersand…it seems fitting. But not courier, too blah. Maybe something like this: http://www.fontspace.com/marta-van-eck-designs/senta-schreibmaschine

8. Jezebella73 says:

I love the idea of getting an ampersand tattoo. I would steer away from the fonts that are really script-y because it would just look like an “E” then.

I had to laugh when I read “this song has been on repeat for two weeks” because I knew it was going to be “Pumped Up Kicks” before I’d even scrolled down…I’m desperately in love with it too! Have you heard it on a radio station where they blank out the words “bullet” and “gun”? So bizarre.

• la says:

I’m thinking of going simple (serif vs sans serif has not been decided), probably Archer will be the font of choice.

Pumped Up Kicks is totally my summer jam. I’ve still got in on repeat! I haven’t heard the radio version (probably because of the amount of public radio I listen to), but that’s bizarre and kind of lame that they blank those words out.