Fashionable People, Questionable Things. | “I got it at Versayce” | Fashionable People, Questionable Things.

Anthony: Alright, am I the only one that’s confused (and angered) by high fashion labels releasing lines for chain stores like Target or H&M? I should say my emphasis is on the confused side of things, considering what seems to pass for couture, but I’m mostly just annoyed. Or maybe I’m projecting my neuroses for order and tradition. Either way, no one should have to suffer a baby pink suit.

How is this real life?

I say neuroses because I think, if you’re going to be a luxury brand that has decades of tradition and clout behind your name, you probably want to stay away from retailers like Target, K-Mart, WalMart, H&M, and so on and so forth. Not that there’s anything wrong with those shops because, let’s face it, we ALL shop there for one thing or another; daddy’s not high rollin’ just yet, y’all. My thought of brand integrity aside, the other thing about these affordable luxury brands that drives me crazy is… how they look.

The Hell's Angels chapter that inspired this jackets are just FABULOUS.

For reals, Versace?

This is a decision you make after watching the same episode of 'Maria la del Barrio' nine times in a row.

You’re creating a fashion line for men and women to be worn around the world and THIS nightmarish tropical wonderland is what you come up with? What 1970s South Beach hotel inspired this clearly cocaine-fueled design?

“We’ll have flowers, and palm trees, and water and something else or yeah gold chains, we can’t forget about the gold chains, you’re nothing without gold chains these days and BELTS, but especially belts with big flowers and did I mention colour because we’ll have lots of colour to accentuate the FLOWERS”

I’m sorry, I just can’t handle it. But to be fair, once I saw the pink suit, I knew I wouldn’t enjoy the collection. Considering all the accessible luxury lines, I think Lagerfeld is the only one who got it right; with “it” being a well crafted extension of the Chanel brand.

You magnificent French bastard.

It’s simple, it’s elegant, it doesn’t scream, “IF YOU BUY ME IT LOOKS LIKE YOU’VE BEEN SHOPPING ON RODEO”, and most of all, it makes you want more. This Versace nightmare makes me thank Moses for their limited edition. One thing the Chanel for Macy’s collection is missing is Lagerfeld’s fan. Do you know how many bartenders I would piss off by waving and snapping that thing around? Mmhmmm.

Remember how it was up to you to prevent forest fires? Well, same diff.

To be completely honest, my feud with Versace has been many years in the making, but with the release of this H&M travesty, something just snapped in me. Stop telling me that fashion is an orange dress with leopard print, a beach scene and an ornate gold frame, wrapped as tightly as possible around a woman’s ass. In what way would that, or pink leggings with huge tropical flowers be flattering? They’re not. Don’t even try to answer me with logic because they’re not. It’s all like a conversation with your boyfriend’s ex: forced and uncomfortable.

9 Responses to “I got it at Versayce”

1. Sarah M says:

Lagerfeld for H&M included a fan…I never had the balls to actually take it anywhere, though…

2. Nicole B says:

I couldn’t agree more. Doesn’t this defeat the purpose of having a luxury brand? More over, isn’t this the exact reason why Burberry re-branded and raised their prices? To prevent chavs from wearing their merch? Call me a snob, but you can’t call yourself luxury and exclusive and then make affordable goods for the masses. And I consider myself to be one of the masses.

• la says:

I agree. I love nice, affordable things for the masses, but it is what it is and it ain’t luxury. Frankly, I prefer luxury brands doing what they do. It’s no longer luxury if everyone has it and it’s cheaply made.

3. Intern Eden says:

Oh man I fully agree with you.

I do love my Jimmy Choo for H&M dominatrix shoes, but I would love them just as much if they didn’t say Choo on them.

4. Amy says:

I was super bothered by the Missoni for Target line recently, so I’m glad someone else feels the same way. People went apeshit for a bunch of multicoloured zigzaggy striped junk that’s at best “meh”. If I were a person who actually invested in pieces from brands like Versace I’d probably be pissed about the cheapo lines.

• la says:

My mom got me some Missoni for Target socks, but they’re socks and they didn’t cost much and they were cute regardless of the Missoni. I wouldn’t have gone out of my way for it and certainly wouldn’t pay much for it because the bulk of it was meh. So the folks paying $100 for a Target sweater on ebay? More money than brains.

And if I actually owned one of these real luxury labels and someone tried to tell me they did too, but it was the Target version? I’d probably lose it a little bit.

5. Lynore says:

I have nothing against diffusion lines but what bothers me is the inability to fully commit to the task at hand. If you’re going to produce and put your label on an inexpensive product, with lower quality materials, assembled in an Asian sweatshop then don’t turn around and try to make it exclusive by selling items for $299.00 USD that are only available in a few locations so that they start selling for 3 times that on Ebay. If you’re going to diffuse, the diffuse baby. Prices should only be the same as or marginally more than what the retailer would normally charge and should be available in most or all locations.

6. Rhia says:

Ok. Good discussion on the luxury brands! But I am still stuck on the picture of the dress… with the shading to replicate crotch/legs? or am I the only one seeing this? Ugh.