L-A: So, actually, I own one and I wear it sometimes, but I feel like it’s not quite right. It wore it Saturday night and was getting the feeling that it wasn’t right. (I call it a “denim jacket” because “jean jacket” gives me flashbacks to the 80s and not in a good way.  More on that later).  And then I get this picture in the email from Raven Denim and now I KNOW my denim jacket isn’t right.

Not sure what's happening with her skirt. I'd much prefer if those were red pants. But whatevs. I like the jacket. It's the Kora by Raven Denim.

The problem with my jacket is definitely one of the following:

1. It didn’t cost $228.*

2. It doesn’t come with a bonus George Clooney.

3. The fit all bulk and shit.

4. All of the above.

Answer 4  would technically be correct, as my jacket is from Old Navy and I don’t have my own George Clooney. So 3 is the actual problem.

*while initially that much for a jean jacket seems crazy bananapants, I wonder if it is one of those things that will last forever and economies of scale** or whatever start to come into play and it eventually is worth it. Because my $30 Old Navy jacket is still kicking, so would a $200 jacket last as long, but look better longer?

** it should be noted I didn’t bother to finish taking economics and therefore have no clue if that is a correct economic term to use here.

So, much like when I asked about where do folks get the bitchin’ leather jackets, I need to know where everyone get s a good denim jacket? Because I feel I need to make that happen for me again and an oversized one just isn’t going to cut it. Not unless I want to bring the 80s back.

And no matter what Urban Outfitters says, that isn’t okay. Sometimes, you just can’t make fetch happen.

And even though I’m totally going to mention this again on Friday, I’m having feelings about one of my favourite writers dying last night, and since I actually wrote this last night, I’m currently having the feelings of just learning that the person who brought me one of my favourite movie lines of all time just died:

And I don’t do favourite quotes, but thanks to Nora Ephron, I guess I do.

Tagged with:

10 Responses to Want/Need: A Denim Jacket

1. Danielle says:

I actually think $200 might be ok for a really good quality, well fitted denim jacket. I’ve have a Gap one from the mid 90s that I still wear all the time. A demin jacket is a classic. I don’t know much about economics either but the cost per wear over time would make it justifiable.

Also, the Nora Ephron news is so sad. Her movies were great.

• la says:

I sometimes justify purchases by figuring out that if I wear them x times, they’ll only cost me pennies a day. At least that’s how I justified spending $200 on a whim for a black dress last fall.

I feel like if I had one that fit better, I’d wear it more. The Old Navy one just doesn’t have the right fit.

2. Claire says:

I can’t help with the Clooney, but … to echo the Empire of Gap, I have a fitted (read: kind of small otherwise, but it has stretch, so it works), dark wash from the E of G that I found at the Frenchy’s on Almon. There are so many jean jackets in the vintage stores in this town that I would save the big $ for something else … That being said, I wear it all the time – especially with skirts & sundresses in this town (where summer comes in August), so …

• la says:

I’m hoping to do some serious Frenchy’s shopping out of town this summer. And I’m totally not opposed to the Empire of Gap for such things – the only reason I’m giving up on the Old Navy one is because it’s just a bit too big (probably because I have lost weight since I bought it almost 8 years ago).

3. Meghan says:

I echo that, mine is from Gap, about 10 years old and I wear it all summer with dresses so the pockets come in handy. The ecocomics term you’re looking for is amortization, that’s when you divide the cost over the useful lifettime. A very important skill for all shoppers :)

• Meghan says:

Too bad I can’t spell economics.

• la says:

ha!

Also – thank you for the economics term! I knew how it worked, but not what it was called. Economics was never my jam.

I wore mine with a cute summer dress the other night. It looked okay, which means if it had been a better fitting jacket, it would have looked awesome.