L-A: I’m going to take a moment and get about as serious as we’ve gotten since Whitney and Adam Yauch died (God, 2012. You really know how to suck).

So, we had a thing on the Twitter earlier today. It all started with Ally linking to this article about a convention centre in the the local newspaper  (that we probably both have opinions on) because she thought this was a slammin’ outfit:

it is, indeed, a slammin’ outfit.

Things we have learned since posting the link to this story:

1. This person has a name. It is Rachel*.

2. Apparently she also spoke at the public engagement session and is not just a timekeeper at the event.

3. People really don’t like it if you’re flippant about things they take very seriously.

4. People are totally cool with being flippant about the things you take seriously. (different people from point 3, but it’s all related by the time I’m done typing).

5. People may or may not send you cartoons to show you just how wrong you are. (To be fair, that Kate Beaton comic is totally spot on. But we don’t feel it applies to us. Not because we’re special…but…well…read on…)

*so says someone on the Twitter.

But folks, let’s slow our roll a bit. Why? Because:

1. That is a slammin’ outfit. Just look at that vest! Where did she get it? Also, she is working the ripped jeans. Not everyone can do this. (Also, as I recently fried my own bangs with a flat iron, I appreciate her cute bangs). She deserves golf claps. Everyone who wears a cute outfit deserves golf claps.

2. We didn’t publish the damn article that doesn’t identify her or her role beyond participating as timekeeper.

3. It’s not like Ally wrote, “Dude says smart things, lady looks good in vest.” Nope. She commented only on the most excellent vest.

4. We have never, not ever, pretended to be anything more than a blog that enjoys fashion and pop culture. You want to talk smart political talk? Find another blog. Or call us to go out for wine after work and we’ll chit chat then. Ally may smear pasta sauce on her face, but she knows her shit.

5. I have the debate skillz of Cher Horowitz, so please, don’t engage me in debate. It reflects poorly on my actual thoughts. (I often crack under pressure).

So, here’s the thing: we are civic minded and we are feminists. We have no problem saying that. We read the newspaper. We have thoughts. We don’t judge female politicians on their outfits, nor do we judge dude politicians on their ties or bad suits. Well, we might judge a little, but rarely on the blog and we don’t vote based on outfits. If you’re in office and you’ve got something important to say, we’re listening. We may not agree, but we are listening.

But if you’re pictured wearing a cute vest and we have no other frame of reference to judge you by? Then we will give you snaps for your cute vest. (We will probably give you a thumbs down if you are wearing an ill-advised vest, regardless of political affiliation).   And when we want to talk politics and civic engagement, we’ll start a different blog and we’ll tweet very different things. Until that day, you can expect a couple of things from us: fashion. pop culture.

And we promise not to get too uppity if you don’t agree with us. Some folks don’t get the #SethSpotting 2012. And that’s cool. It’s not important to them. But it’s hella fun for me, so I’m going to roll with it.

#SETHSPOTTING 2012!

So with all that said: Rachel, where’d you get the vest?  I totally owe Ally a birthday present and I think she could work that look.

Ally: Yesterday was mortifying. My brain came close to exploding trying to explain why exactly a FASHION BLOGGER would have the AUDACITY to compliment someone’s OUTFIT in a photo that was published in my provincial newspaper.

If an Olympic medal would have been handed out yesterday for Outstanding Number of Head Tilts, I would be fake crying on the podium right now while my anthem of Billy Joel’s Uptown Girl blasted through the stadium.

So sad and confused was I, that I turned to my favourite sad and confused music video.

Which has me thinking that it might just be J-Timberlake’s best acting performance.How many people did I just offend right there?

To sum, guys? Our tagline is Unsolicited Advice on Fashion and Pop Culture.

The only other thing I have to add, besides that I sometimes find The Internets to be exhausting,  to this thoughtful post is that there was #SethSpotting 2012 in my suburbs yesterday. I was tempted to get out of my leggings and depart my home office in search of Cohen, but the bowl of ice cream I’d promised myself that afternoon won out.

18 Responses to Oh right…this is a fashion blog

• la says:

Word.

hater eagle

(normally I don’t care about the haters…but I was sort of out of ideas for what to write last night, so this won).

Correct me if I’m wrong, Krista, but I think you and I were able to combine “smart political type thinking” with “love her snappy shoes! commentary” quite well while working together. Otherwise, let’s just all call it a day and dress in Leggings As Pants and be DONE WITH IT.

1. To paraphrase Clueless “Searching for political commentary on a fashion blog is as useless as searching for meaning in a Pauly Shore movie.”

2. Ben says:

Um. Anyone using FPQT to form their political opinions may have bigger fish to fry. Using personal conversations with LA or Ally about civic issues to form their political opinions? Sure! But lawwwwd we can’t vote for Seth to become the Mayor of Halifax…..

….or can we?

No seriously. Can we??

• la says:

Seth Cohen for Mayor! YESSSS!

But seriously. We got called out for talking about a cute vest. I watched Ally’s twitter debate about how we shouldn’t call out ladies on their outfits go down while I was at work yesterday and my brain was all, “whaaaaaaaaaaa…?”

It would be an interesting sociological study if someone were to only use FPQT to determine their political philosophical leanings.

3. Charlene says:

I think this debate needs 100% more Fred input, but since he’s not forthcoming, let’s just say, “More ladies should wear mascara and speak out politically,” and leave it there. Not down with the leggings as pants, no sir. Unless there’s a cute wrap scarf/ not quite a skirt involved. Maybe then.

This? This is all effing ridiculous.

If you’d tweeted “I’m not going to vote for so-and-so because I don’t like her sense of style,” then sure, I might be pondering how we ever became friends. But that’s not something either of you would say.

I can’t believe I have two days of meetings and miss all this.

• la says:

It was the most baffling morning I’ve had in ages! And this was all Ally posted:

Interesting article about Nova Centre and all, but major props to this lady for her slamming outfit: ow.ly/cscs8 @chronicleherald

(http://twitter.com/FPQT/status/227715902223822848)

I suppose it does bring up a broader discussion that’s worth having about how we view women who are involved in political/public things and about how we perform gender. But it really was just a comment about someone who was unnamed (and role at event undefined beyond “timekeeper”) and her outfit.

We otherwise prefer to keep our political views off of the Twitter and especially off of the blog – which is a FASHION and pop culture focused blog (we specialize in frivolity here. I don’t even think we talk politics much on our personal Facebook accounts. I know it’s something I usually keep off of all social media as much as possible).

It was upsetting, because I felt it was an unfair portrayal of who I am and what I believe in. It was a lighthearted compliment meant for our (very) lighthearted blog. I certainly meant no disrespect to the serious nature of the public information session. I saw the photo, loved her vest, shared it with our Twitter followers who follow us to get a dose of style related commentary throughout their day. It was effed up.

5. lifeofmytime says:

Holy moly. I missed this entirely. This is the most ridic thing I’ve seen in a long time. And folks? That’s saying something. And the vest deserved attention ladies. Well done.

Thanks for saying this. I spent a good part of yesterday morning truly wondering if I’d crossed the line. I’m fairly certain I’ve crossed the line before (see all my mentions of Yelawolf), but this seemed fair (and harmless) game. I love L-A for going to bat for her girl on the blog. She’s my lobster.

6. [...] Someone took a post on my favorite hilarious Halifax fashion blog way too seriously and got political about it. Can’t we let funny blogs be funny [...]